Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In dire need of help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 less_than_jess

less_than_jess

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:26 AM

Hi, my name is Jessica. I'm 21 years old, and I currently have a nice laptop that is virus-free. I had to buy it after my old computer got some kind of virus that I have never heard of. I've found people with similar problems, but not exactly the same. Here's what's going on:

My infected computer is a Sony VAIO GRS Notebook with Windows XP. It boots up normally and goes to the log on screen. I click my username to log on. It plays the log on music, and for one hot second I see my desktop. Then it plays the log off music and I'm back on the log on screen. I get no error message, there's nothing funny looking on the log on screen, and there's nothing weird during the booting-up process. It's as if I clicked log off before it ever logged on. I cannot log on in Safe Mode, as either my username OR Administrator. I have no idea what to do.

I let this go for a while, but I'm a music major at college, and I have a LOT of Finale and WMP files that I really need access to, and that I cannot duplicate. I just need to get into windows for a few minutes to put some stuff on disks, and then whatever happens happens. But I don't know what's wrong with it, I don't know how to get onto windows, and although I called IT, they didn't really help. I personally have little to no technical knowledge of computers (obviously), so I'm at a total loss here as to what to do.

So if anyone could please tell me how to fix this, or at least how to log on for a few minutes, or even just direct me to somewhere/someone who CAN help, it'd be much much much much appreciated. Heck, I'd be happy if someone could just tell me the name of this virus.

Thanks even if you can't help,
Jess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:31 AM

Did you by any chance run Ad-Aware on the machine shortly before this started to happen? One of the versions of Ad-Aware mishandled Blazefind removal.

Edited by ddeerrff, 22 February 2005 - 12:38 AM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 less_than_jess

less_than_jess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:04 AM

I don't think so.... the last thing that happened before I got permanently kicked off of windows was a gray box popped up saying something about having to close some program. I just clicked "okay" without even thinking, whcih sucks because I should've noticed that there was no "cancel" option. Then the box disappeared, all of my open programs (AIM, Word, etc.) just disappeared off of the toolbar, and my computer rebooted. I haven't been able to log on since.

I did, however, have that blazefind thing stuck on my computer. Is that where it came from, maybe?

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:14 AM

Doesn't sound typical of an improperly removed blazefind, but might still be. See if http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html is of any help.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:01 AM

Try building the ubcd4win this will give you access to all of your files plus you will be able to run a couple of virus scanners to remove whatever is causing the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users