Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2002 Jpegs And Saved Emails Vanish Or Close To It

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cowgirl23

cowgirl23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

howdy, sometimes i open one of my saved word pages to find that my well crafted writing has been turned into a page full of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy's And there are 2 little dots above each y. Sometime swhen i try to save a word page, it will say i need to load a converter and to put in the disc, so i do then it makes a page of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy's
Also some of my saved emails will be blank except for a line of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy across the top of the page.
also some of my jpeg photos will blank out and when i try to open them, they will say no preveiw availible.
I also have noticed that it is getting to be hit and miss when i try to save files from my documents to a disc. It will say dosc may not be usable and so on. But then it wil go sometimes if i eject the disc and keep trying, or it will just hang up with 5 seconds to go.

i cleaned out the computer and reloaded everything hoping that would fix it and it has not helped

ia m using a gateway 300se i bought new 5 years ago. It uses windows xp 256mb sdram 20gb hard drive, was using mcafee but switched back to norton. Using aol 9 vr, NTFS file system and when everything is loaded to it the free space tends to run in the 60% range.

a virus that norton can't detect? software? hardware? old age? Too small?

no one i have talked to before can figure it out.

im a writer and losing word files is a bit of a disaster for me. I wonder if i can convert the yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy blanked word pages back to what i wrote.

i sure would be thankful for any information anyone can provide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

Any system maintenance (chkdsk, defrag) done routinely?

Malware programs?

Last scan for viruses, etc.? Results?

Louis

#3 cowgirl23

cowgirl23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

howdy, yes i keep an anti virus program active and dont seem to get many detections. Also defrag and run bug doctor, window washer and so on. I have microsoft updates up to date.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

You might try running chkdsk:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures: To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:
Exit code Description
0 No errors were found.
1 Errors were found and fixed.
2 Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed, or cleanup was not performed because /f was not specified.
3 Could not check the disk, errors could not be fixed, or errors were not fixed because /f was not specified.

At 4, put check marks in both boxes.

Louis

#5 cowgirl23

cowgirl23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

thanks guys, i will try the check disc. I had read zeroes to the hardrive and ran the scans and fix errors process a few days ago. Im not sure but maybe thta does much the same thing as the check disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users