Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Cannot Startup Because A Windows File Is Missing Or Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glassman153

glassman153

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

My computer has been infected with Vundo, Virtumonde, Adware, and Spyware so I posted a Hijack this log and a topic in the Hijack log forum. Someone replied and told me to use to Combofix.exe

I downloaded and let it scan the computer. That's when the computer froze and I had to take out the battery and tried to restart it. I clicked F8 repeatedly and it will not restart in safe mode or normal mode or last good known confergeration b/c apparently a certain windows file was missing or corrupted.

I'm assuming combo fix removed it.

What can I do? =( Things have gone bad to worst.

Edited by glassman153, 02 December 2007 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

You are still working with with the HJT Team, specifically teacup61. Please wait until you are told you're all clear and she is done assisting you. You may make matters worse by cross posting in the forums and she does not know what you are doing. With that said I am closing this topic. If after you have been cleared by the HJT team you need this topic reopened. Please PM any of the moderating staff and we will reopen this post.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

Member cleared by HJT Team, and still having issues. This thread now reopened. Please see this thread in the HJT forum for steps taken thus far.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

Well, first of all...do you have an XP install CD and a valid license?

There are at least two basic ways to deal with XP O/S file corruption:

a. Running sfc /scannow.

b. Doing a repair install of XP.

Both of these require access to XP installation files. Both will replace any missing/damaged Windows files.

Louis

#5 glassman153

glassman153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

Do you have a walkthrough or something like that?

Please be warned/aware I'm not really good with computers.

I popped into the windows disk and tried to run /p and /r, they scanned but the computer was still the same and kept on saying: Windows is missing a certain file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119246/infected-with-trojan-vundo-virtumonde-virus-spyware-adware-unwanted-browser-toolchanges-ie-popups-and-more/ is the topic I created before and the actions I took and then eventually what the staff member told me that this issue was out of her hands since her speciality is malware not trouble-shooting.

Edited by glassman153, 03 December 2007 - 09:13 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:15 AM

See the following link for information on how to run the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users