Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sguard.msi Missing From Sonic Update Manager

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 staredecisis

staredecisis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

I have the same problem represented in the following post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry676297 , but the link to the patch to resolve it no longer works. Can someone let me know where this patch is now located?

Basically, when I reboot the Sonic Update Manager starts and apparently attempts to update itself, but it stops with an error message stating that sguard.msi is missing. After a few clicks to retry or cancel, it goes away, but it takes a minute or so of clicking cancel for it to end. I think this is the problem dealt with in the above link, but the solution is no longer available at that link. Please help!

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi staredecisis,

I believe the Sonic program is trying to update itself.
However, the only way to successfully update, is the purchase an "update" from Sonics website.

When you purchased your PC you found software preinstalled that you did not request, including Sonic. These pieces of software are called Craplets.
The problem is that PC manufacturers won't remove them, because they make money for every machine sold that has these types of software installed.

There is a tool called the PC Decrapifier, that removes those programs that you wish, such as Sonic.

Feel free to visit the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, if you need well tested products.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users