Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Install On Same Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

I have just installed a new motherboard for my pc and because of that Vista Ultimate would not load up, i have 2 O/S on my pc on 2 seperate H/D, XP Pro was fine and loaded up ok with no problems at all but Vista didnt like it one bit :huh: i tried everything from booting from cd to repair using backup but no joy, so the only thing left to do was to un-install and reload it again, thats great now as everything is spot on and its running fine but because i changed my MoBo it is now asking me to activate windows again, so i done this but it says my activation code (number on sticker/book) is in use and i need to purchase another licence code, why is this? i only changed the MoBo not done an install on another computer, is there any way this can be sorted out as this could get expensive everytime things go wrong or you need to upgrade for any particular reason, first time Vista has run sweet for me since changing the MoBo and now this :huh: i have 30 days in which to sort this out so its not too bad ........i guess? :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

The activation wizard should give you a phone number to call. After a few questions the tech will give you another code to type into the activation window and you'll be all set and legal.

A lot of good info on activation here: http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Window...Activation.html

BTW - should your XP installation start to act up on you, that could be a result of the change of motherboards. The more similar the motherboards (Old vs New) the less chance for Windows hijinks.

Edited by usasma, 02 December 2007 - 03:52 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Many thanks usasma, i will give the phone number a go and hope they can sort me out :huh: and the link provided by you has some usefull info, so thanks for that aswell :huh: so does this happen everytime a motherboard is changed as i guess this is an important hardware change which nearly means a new computer is born? :huh:

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

so does this happen everytime a motherboard is changed as i guess this is an important hardware change which nearly means a new computer is born? :huh:

Yes...you will need to get a re-activation number every time you change important hardware.

Edited by Jacee, 02 December 2007 - 11:00 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

Many thanks for showing me the way and now the problem is fixed :huh: :huh: you saved me a few good old English Pounds as i was ready to buy a new licence :huh: but i have to ask one thing, why didnt it affect my XP Pro as im using that as well on the same pc on a seperate H/D, I didnt need to re activate that O/S...........Weird!! :huh:

Edited by big C.O.Z, 03 December 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

It should have affected your XP Pro also - but again, it depends on the OS's ability to recognize the changes. If the drivers on the XP installation were good enough for the mobo - XP may have assumed that there wasn't a change (really depends on the hardware tho'). This also depends on the level of updates that you have and the behavior of the "activation checker" in XP (vs that in Vista).

You can check Device Manager to see if any of the devices weren't recognized/installed in XP. Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

I checked device manager on both Vista and Xp Pro and both are ok with no problems or exclamation marks, Im not complaining that Xp did not mess up as it saved alot of agro lol :huh: but many thanks for the assistance you have given :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users