Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance Optimizer Error Box

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

I turned on my dv6135nr HP laptop, IE7, Windows XP Prof and the color of the home page of msn.com had changed to red from my choice of blue and there was a windows live search box on top of the home page (had not ever asked for any of this). Within 30 seconds, an IE dialog box appeared "NOTICE: Errors in your PC can cause data loss, hardware or software failure and performance fail. Install PerformanceOptimizer to fix errors, monitor changes and maintain PC stability!" There was also a mini browser in lower right with an address of http://performanceop..... Because of the bad grammar and spelling, I assumed it was fraudulent; I clicked cancel rather than OK; it wouldn't go away, I kept x'ing out and finally was able to get it all x'd out; it seemed to be about servers etc. which I have no relation to; I never clicked to another link.

I ran Webroot spysweeper and it was negative; tried to run Norton AV but it hung up; I would shut down and restart and the regular pages I go to would hang up/freeze. Tried to install and run a virus detection tool from symantec; the extraction wizard would not work, and got a Windows Explorer box: szAppName: explorer.exe szAppVer: 6.0.2900.3156 szModName: hungapp szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offsett: 000000000. Went to support at microsoft, did what they said. Still had hang ups. Then went to add-ons and disabled anything to do with Windows Live. Finally able to run symantec security check from their website; both checks said no problems. I was also able to run a regular Norton full scan and it was OK. Then suddenly a DEP error; Data Execution Prevention shut down the whole system-for my protection of course. In checking under General Tab of Internet Options, it showed Windows Live as being my default search provider (which I have never asked for) but google was also listed and google was still on my browser; I deleted Windows Live and made google the default search (even though the browser had never changed). At different times, spysweeper keeps telling me that a BHO ieframe.dll and iexplore.exe are trying to access my computer and do I want to block or allow installation. I have blocked the installation so far.

Can you please tell me if performance optimizer is valid; if so, how do I download it? The only thing I've added since doing a recovery 11/21 (because of the mess that flooded into my hard drive when I checked out the Media Center) is Glary Utilities Registry Repair. I'm not technically savvy (obviously) and have never had any problems with the Windows XP, IE7 or system instability.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.
anniehannah

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

If your system is running smoothly now...why would you consider (even consider) adding an unknown piece of software that provides no benefit (if it's smooth now, can it get smoother?) to a system that doesn't need it?

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

Symantec's take on it: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-101013-0757-99

The bad guys resort to "social engineering" to get you to click on their stuff - so, don't ever click on their stuff. Rather, right click on the offending item in the task bar and select "Close" (usually this is an Internet Explorer window). If it still doesn't go away - then you'll be looking at using Task Manager to kill the bad process that's been spawned on your computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

If your system is running smoothly now...why would you consider (even consider) adding an unknown piece of software that provides no benefit (if it's smooth now, can it get smoother?) to a system that doesn't need it?

Louis

Thank you for your response. I will assume you are referring to the Registry Repair being software of no benefit. Are you saying that the error box prompting me to install PerformanceOptimizer (which is a Microsoft product for servers) should have been clicked on? The aftermath of the recovery continued for many days with automatic updates and reinstalls etc. It was OK but it wasn't like before I went into the Media Center to see what it offered.

#5 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

Symantec's take on it: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-101013-0757-99

The bad guys resort to "social engineering" to get you to click on their stuff - so, don't ever click on their stuff. Rather, right click on the offending item in the task bar and select "Close" (usually this is an Internet Explorer window). If it still doesn't go away - then you'll be looking at using Task Manager to kill the bad process that's been spawned on your computer.

Thank you for your response. Please tell me what me you mean "looking to Task Manager to kill...". When the dialog box about PerformanceOptimizer came up, I tried to end the process with Task Manager also but it was unresponsive. During the subsequent hangups/freezing, Task Manager was also non responsive.

The Application Event Viewer shows a Dr Watson C:\WINDOWS\explorer.EXE about 2 minutes after the PerformanceOptimizer box.

How do I deal with the "bad process that's been spawned"?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

Can you please tell me if performance optimizer is valid; if so, how do I download it? The only thing I've added since doing a recovery 11/21 (because of the mess that flooded into my hard drive when I checked out the Media Center) is Glary Utilities Registry Repair. I'm not technically savvy (obviously) and have never had any problems with the Windows XP, IE7 or system instability.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.
anniehannah

It's rouge software and considered malware
http://www.symantec.com
I would go futher down the main forum page and post in our malware forum
Good luck
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users