Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Format Old Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanFerret

DanFerret

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

A while back I had a problem with my hard (C:/) and had to buy a new one(E:/), which I installed as well as the old hard drive, so that once I had installed Windows XP onto the new hard drive I could transfer important documents.

However now I have done this I want to know is it safe to format this old hard drive?

The reason for doing this is as it is plagued by viruses, and I dont want it to be affecting the new hard drive. NOD32 keeps finding things wrong with files on the old drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

If you disconnected the old drive when you installed windows on the new drive then you should be safe to erase the old.

However if your windows boot files ended up on the old drive because you incorrectly did the clean install????
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

If you disconnected the old drive when you installed windows on the new drive then you should be safe to erase the old.

However if your windows boot files ended up on the old drive because you incorrectly did the clean install????

The old hard drive was stil conected when I installed XP onto the new one. Is there a way to check where the boot files went?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

Unplug the computer, open the case and disconnect the old drive. Then try and boot the computer up. If it boots without the old drive connected - then you're good to go. If it refuses to boot - then you'll have to do a repair install of the OS with only the new disk in the system (dunno if this can be done in Recovery Console).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DanFerret

DanFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

Unplug the computer, open the case and disconnect the old drive. Then try and boot the computer up. If it boots without the old drive connected - then you're good to go. If it refuses to boot - then you'll have to do a repair install of the OS with only the new disk in the system (dunno if this can be done in Recovery Console).

Thanks mate I guess this is proberly the best option I will give it a try sometime soon.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

another point to add there's a setting with drives that's a real pain when you intialize them, the system drive with the boot files has to be set active or windows won't boot from it

like john said always disconnect the old system drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users