Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Results Say... But Can't Find Help In Forums

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jkeith

jkeith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

Okay so I use AVG free anti virus. It runs every morning and has been telling me that these files have been changed or moved
kernel32.dll
shell32.dll
ntoskrnl.exe
this has been an ongoing thing, not so much a problem until a new error has come up sometimes when I try to use my Windows Live Messenger. It tells me that the iertutil.dll file could not be found reinstalling may fix the problem. Well it hasn't fixed the problem. I don't know if they are related, but the problem didn't start until the shell32dll file came up on the list.
I know how to do some things with my comp but I don't feel comfortable enough to go poking around blindly lol.
:thumbsup:
any help? plez

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:55 AM

lol,i use to have AVG(before it got evil,lol)
and it said the same on mine
but my computer still going strong :thumbsup:
Until maybe the end of next year,lol

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

AVG normally...yes normally...takes note of when certain system files are changed by updates.

Not sure if this is the case with you, but such notifications are not necessarily a cause for alarm.

The user has to be aware of what's going on with the system...to properly interpret such. Using Event Viewer might help when trying to interpret.

Louis

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

In the result/infection column, it says Change in the row with shell32.dll.
I noticed that shell32.dll is on the list twice, but none of the other items are listed twice. why is it showing a change in this?

AVG free edition shows shell32.dll changed???

It is normal that AVG shows that files, the MBR or Boot record to have changed. These are done during normal maintainance, when you or windows updates files or have had to correct errors on the drive. The only time that you should worry is if they also show as infected.

To get AVG to quit showing them as changed, open the AVG Test Center, click the F3 key on your keyboard and tell it to accept the changes. If it still shows something as changed after this.. delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users