Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

Whenever I try to access Control Panel, I get a popup that shows CA400RES.DLL, Then in the meesage shows
CWBNL0202-(a few wingding looking characters in the middle) \CA400RES.DLL I have to click the OK box before the Control Panel will appear.

I have Googled this several times and found others with same problem but no solution or even what is causing it.
It started when my old 40g HDD started acting up and I removed it and replaced it with a 300g Seagate that I was using as a secondary. The 300g had been my primary before when it was new and didn't have this problem then.

I'm using XP sp2

Thanks for any help!

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

If I had error messages concerning a file which produced negative results when trying to find out what that file is/does, etc...I would assume that it's probably malware and act accordingly.

I can't see any references indicating what your error message means.

Louis

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

I wouldn't really even call it an "error" message I s'pose. It doesn't say "error" anywhere. Almost as if it could be a file it can't find when trying to start up Control Panel?
I can access the items like Display, System, etc... without going thru Control Panel and I don't have any problems.
:thumbsup:

#4 dbosmans

dbosmans

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:02 AM

I found a solution for this: Control Panel still wants to start the ISeries plugin.
Just delete the ISeries control panel plugin and your problem is solved.
File to delete is "ca400cpl.cpl" and is found in C:\Windows\System32.
Just delete, no reboot required, problem solved

#5 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Can anybody verify this solution?

Being that dbosmans has this one and only post, I don't want go deleting files that nobody else seemed to have figured out.

thanks,

Terry

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

First, I would suggest submitting the file in question to this link to see if it's infected: http://virusscan.jotti.org/
Then, I'd check in your Control Panel to see if you can figure out what it's linked to. Most of the google results that I saw referred to some IBM software there.
Next, I'd check your Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel to see if there's similar IBM programs there - and then check the programs for similar file names.

Then, after all that, it's still gonna be a guessing game. The easiest thing to do is to NOT delete it - rather MOVE it to another location (for example, your Desktop) and wait and see if there's any issues. If not, after a couple of weeks, delete it to the Recycle Bin (which'll leave it there for another week or two before it auto-empties).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Well I moved the above mentioned file last week, and just like stated, I had no problems getting into Control Panel.
I was afraid to reboot at first thinking the worst, but re-booted fine.
Checked Device Manager and no issues with any devices.

So it has been about a week now and seemed to work just fine.

(even tho I do have a keyboard problem that I'm sure is un-related, and in a seperate post now)

#8 clumsyyakman

clumsyyakman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I have this Lenovo machine that was kicking my butt after trying to install an attached Brother MFC-7840W and also a networked HP 1022n. The print spooler service decided to mysteriously disappear and wouldn't restart. What's this have to do with the CA400RES.DLL ? Well, after deleting every single pre-installed Lenovo IBM security program, e-assistance program, and all recovery programs, I finally got the print service working again, but in my haste to delete everything IBM related, I must have crushed the IBM AS/400 client access at the same time. I was unable to go into control panel and delete it normally and got that same error, including the webding or wingdings and all.

I moved the ca400cpl.cpl file from windows/system32 to the desktop, renamed it and viola... control panel opened up without an issue.

Now to reinstall client access...

#9 Mohammed Adel

Mohammed Adel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:49 AM

I found a solution for this: Control Panel still wants to start the ISeries plugin.

solution verified it solved the problem.
thanks "dbosmans"

Mohammed Adel

#10 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Yes...

this did solve the problem...

#11 twinszg

twinszg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

Thanks! This solved problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users