Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Seems To Disconnect/connect Itself Frequently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlackAngusYoung

BlackAngusYoung

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

Things I connect to my USB seem to get lost for a few seconds at a time and then come back by themselves. I've noticed it with an old scanner I have and now with a new LaCie 500GB external hard drive, and probably with other things where I didn't realize what was happening. I hear the Windows connecting/disconnecting noises. It disconnects and then reconnects almost instantly, but it stops whatever file I'm transferring and causes an error for the program doing the transferring, such as a disc writing program trying to use the drive for its temp files. Sometimes, though, it can run for hours just fine. It's really bad today and I'm wondering if that's just luck or if it's getting worse. Any ideas? Please ask me to clarify if you think you might be able to help me with some info I haven't given (this is my first post.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

What errors are reflected on the System or Apps tab in Event Viewer...that might pertain to your situation?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Are these USB devices connected to your motherboard directly...or are you using a hub or PC card?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

One of the limitations with USB is the power limit, your motherboard or computer can only supply something like 200milliamps
total to all the usb devices plugged in, if this is the problem then disconnect some or use a powered hub.

Another issue with USB that really makes it a poor interface is all the activity is controlled routed thru the cpu, multitasking etc only interfer or compete. Firewire puts the load on the chipsets not the cpu, that's why it's used for video work and usb is not.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 BlackAngusYoung

BlackAngusYoung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

I've never heard of the event viewer before. There are an awful lot (I guess one for every time it happens and it's been happening a lot today) of warning messages which say that an error was detected on my external hard disk during a paging file. There is also one from PlugPlayManager which says it timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "DeviceMsgListenerWmd."

My computer doesn't have Firewire. I have 6 USB ports but it seems every time I plug something into any of them I get a message that it would be better to use a high-speed USB port. I can click the message to see the list and it looks to me like they're all high speed or at least some are but it's always telling me they aren't when I want to use them.

Is it possible some kind of virus or something is doing this? I only ask because I just noticed that when I use CTRL+ALT+Delete I see the box I always see but without the tabs (processes) or the regular stuff at the top. I just get a white box with the task and status listed and the buttons for End Task, Switch To and New Task and I need to use Alt+F4 to close it. I can't even right-click it in the taskbar and choose Close. I think I've seen that years ago on another computer when it had a big problem. Maybe a question for another thread but I wonder if there's a connection.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

I ran into a similar situation with a crippled task manager on a computer after I removed several virii and a lot of trojans, even a repair install of the OS did not fix it.

Might be time for a clean install of the OS
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Well...the ports are either USB 2.0 or USB 1.something...there's no guesswork involved.

If you have USB 2.0 devices and they all indicate that they would perform better in a USB 2.0 port...then you don't have USB 2.0.

Look at your motherboard/system manual...or read the following link.

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html

Louis

#7 BlackAngusYoung

BlackAngusYoung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:12 AM

I ran into a similar situation with a crippled task manager on a computer after I removed several virii and a lot of trojans, even a repair install of the OS did not fix it.

Might be time for a clean install of the OS

I actually just fixed mine with help from somebody on another forum site. I don't know if that problem you had is the same but if it is you'll find it as funny as I do how easy it is to fix. The problem I had was fixed by simply double clicking the border directly around the three buttons at the bottom. Don't know if it's the same thing you mean but you can try it to see what I mean. I guess it's just two views of the task manager you can toggle between depending on what you want it for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users