Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32 Application

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michael49er

michael49er

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:31 AM

Hi does any one no how come I'm getting a message that says that a picture in my doc's. is not a valid win32 application
my wife says it started about a month ago. Did we pickup a virus? it appears to be all pic's in my doc's

Edited by michael49er, 02 December 2007 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

Let me make sure that I understand the problem:

Picture files (like .jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) that are located in your My Documents folder give y9ou a "Not a Valid Win32 Application" when you double click on them.

Is that right?

If so, is it only pictures that are in the My Documents folder? Try copying a picture to you desktop (or, better yet, a flash drive or floppy disk) and try to open it.

My spidey-sense tells me that it's probably a system-wide problem, so I'm going to assume (for the moment) that copying a picture like I described gives the same result.
So, try this:

Open My Documents, right-click on a picture file, then:
  • Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program.
  • Notice that the Open With dialog box appears.
  • In the Programs list, find Internet Explorer, select it
  • Make sure that the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option is not checked (see picture)and then click OK
Posted Image

If the picture opens correctly, then the problem is that Windows is trying to use a file that is not an application to open your images. This is easily fixed.

Post you results and we'll go from there.

#3 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hi I was mistaken the pic's are in my pic's and when we right click and clk open the message pops up. I just tried to open with lex mark got same message but it opened with windows picture and fax viewer :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

You tried to open a picture with what Lexmark program?

AFAIK, Lexmark does not have a program for opening photos...only for scanning, printing, etc.

Louis

#5 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

its fast pic's it came with printer soft ware. Mainly it should and did open in my picture's now it won't

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

So you used Lexmark's program to view the photo's in the past, and now it doesn't work; Windows Picture and Fax viewer does work, however, when you use the Open With option. Is that right? If so, I'd say that the Lexmark program has become damaged or corrupted. The easiest solution for that would be to uninstall and then reinstall the lexmark program.

#7 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

the main problem is when we right clk and try to open file we get message and thats right from my pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users