Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got A Couple Of Hours?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O...M_I_C_O_N.shtml

This is, without question, the best essay -- indeed the best anything -- I have ever read on the internet.

It's basically a trip through the development of the computer industry along with arguments around what will, or will not, still be around in fiftenn years. The whole thing is anchored in a discussion about User Interfaces specifically, and operating systems in general. It's not written from a tech perspective, per se, so even lay people can understand it.

It's very long; it took me around three hours to read it all. So long that I'm sure few people ever read the whole thing. When discussing online documents, very rarely does one think of anything larger than 10 pages. This one works out to around 75 pages.

It's also a little anachronistic. It was written in January of '99. In those days, Windows 98SE was new and 1GHz was unheard in microprocessors. Yet it still reads very clearly and is very relevant in this day and age.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:55 AM

LOL thanks. I didnt read as far as the 75 pages statement and went to print it with the thought "well you can read it on the twenty minute train ride later today." When I saw the number of pages, I cancelled the print job lol. I made it save as a pdf, so will read it later I suppose. Thanks.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

LOL thanks. I didnt read as far as the 75 pages statement and went to print it with the thought "well you can read it on the twenty minute train ride later today." When I saw the number of pages, I cancelled the print job lol. I made it save as a pdf, so will read it later I suppose. Thanks.

You have chosen... wisely. :thumbsup:

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

I had a crack at it yesterday and it is interesting but I didn't make it to the end. Brought it up in OPERA and had it read to me. Lazy @%$#%.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

Nothing quite like robot voice reading to you...ha ha

No thanks, I just hope this person got paid. It must have taken a year to write. I cant read that much I get bored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users