Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Wireless Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

For quite some time, I've been able to get wireless internet without many problems on my laptop here. That was, until Thursday night, when the browser suddenly turned up "Page cannot load". I tried repairing the connection a few times and eventually gave up for the night. I came back Friday and still wasn't working. It was connecting, but nothing worked online. I gave up and went about watching DVDs for a bit. Today, I try again and still no luck. I have an idea an go to another room and it works! So I bring in my plug, mouse, and cooling fan and hook them up. The internet promptly sputters and dies (connection still claims to be fine). Try to repair a few times and still no good. I try loading Yahoo! and then think of something while it claims to be loading. I pull out the power cord and the page loads almost instantly. It's as if the power cord is somehow causing interference as an antenna. Any thing I can do?

-I don't have access to the router if you know what I mean...
-It's an XP
-Compaq something or other Laptop
-Any other details needed?

That's about it. I tried whacking the power cord on a bed to see if I could shake out the static or anything and then realized the wires are copper and can't be a magnet when not plugged in. Thanks for the help that I hope comes soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AzureEd

AzureEd

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:56 AM

This may sound ridiculous but some routers have a function that may limit internet access at certain times.

I assumed you are "borrowing" someone elses internet and they may be doing this.

#3 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:36 AM

But then why is it working when I take the plug out?

#4 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

I was able to get on AIM for a bit in my normal room and plugged in, but the browser still didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users