Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Viiv Processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robbo74

Robbo74

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

Hello Everybody,

I am about to order a computer from Dell and have chosen the computer I want but I am unsure which processor to choose. I have decided on the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz processor but it also gives me the choice of an Intel Viiv Technology Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz processor for the same price. I do not understand the difference. The computer will come with Vista Home Premium and will have 2048MB of RAM, a 320GB Hard Drive and a 256MB Graphics Card.

I was hoping somebody would know which processor is the better one?

Thanks in advance,

Robbo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

I believe that the processors are the same and that it's just a difference in the nomenclature.

Intel only lists one E6750 at the "View desktop processor specifications" link on this page: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/co...re2duo+tab_spec
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Robbo74

Robbo74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the reply USASMA. I'm sorry but I don't understand what nomenclature is? I think DELL says you need Windows Vista for a Viiv processor so presumbly there must be some difference however slight. I'm worried that if I get the Viiv processor there might be future compatibility problems with software or hardware? However I'm equally concerned that if I don't get the Viiv processor it might turn out to be something thats really useful in the future. I am very confused :thumbsup:

Nick

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:34 AM

nomenclature is a fancy way of saying the specific name of the processor (in this case the E6750). What the links show is that Intel (who named the processor) don't have specific versions with or without ViiV.

What you will notice at this link: http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm is that it's associated with various Intel motherboard chipsets - and IMO it's a software solution that assists in multimedia processing. I installed this on my wife's new computer (with the Intel chipset) and it was a real PITA to get working correctly. But, since you're purchasing this from Dell, it shouldn't be an issue for you.

In short it may be that the computer will have a different motherboard - and without the specs on each we won't be able to advise you adequately.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Robbo74

Robbo74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for that advice John. I will try and ask Dell as to whether it will use a different motherboard and whether there are any pros and cons. Thanks Again. Nick

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

"Intel® Viiv™ technology-based PCs are designed for digital entertainment. They are powered by dual-core processors, giving you amazing performance to run today's demanding multimedia applications. Plus, they're complemented by entertainment services and applications verified to work with Intel Viiv processor technology."

http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users