Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

I really haven't started researching yet, but is anyone else having trouble with Firefox's recent update? It jumps my CPU useage to 100% and stays there. Everything's fine with I.E.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

No problems here garmanma.
This is a good article for troubleshooting Firefox CPU Useage.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Thanks, I'll have look. It's defintley Firefox. It started right after the download when I rebooted. I'm spoiled, I can't stand I.E.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

Found the problem. I went to see what add-ons I had. As far as I recall I only had one = I.E. Tab. There was another one also. Dom Inspector. It's supposed to uninstall when you restart Firefox after an update but it didn't. I had to uninstall it in the add-ons window and we're back to normal
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:11 AM

Glad you were able to solve the problem. :thumbsup:
Sometimes our favorite extensions are known to cause unwanted side effects in Firefox.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

Actually it isn't an extension you choose to add. It automatically installs with the Firefox update. It checks for any problems with the update progress and the integrity of the update. It's supposed to uninstall itself at the end of the update process. That happens when it prompts you to restart Firefox. For some reason, it didn't do that
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for pointing that out; I noticed quite a few hangs with Firefox myself, and there it is: DOM Inspector. Seems the uninstall option for DI is disabled however. :thumbsup: Time for me to do some research.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for pointing that out; I noticed quite a few hangs with Firefox myself, and there it is: DOM Inspector. Seems the uninstall option for DI is disabled however. :thumbsup: Time for me to do some research.

Instead of restarting the browser, try rebooting the machine
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. It ended up requiring an uninstall and then reinstall of FF using the advanced method, which gave a checkbox for the DI and Feedback Agent features. They were selected by default, so I just unchecked them and continued on my way. It looks like I didnt need to export my bookmarks beforehand because they were there after the reinstall. Still, its a good habit to make backups before doing stuff like this. Anyways, all is well now. :trumpet:

PS sorry for the hijack :thumbsup: :flowers:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

I still wasn't real happy with it. It was still hogging the CPU with multiple tabs opened. Plus my page up and down and the arrow keys never worked. I downloaded Opera and I can't believe the difference.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

I still wasn't real happy with it. It was still hogging the CPU with multiple tabs opened. Plus my page up and down and the arrow keys never worked. I downloaded Opera and I can't believe the difference.
Mark

Have you enabled the SPEECH feature? Great to sit back and have the text read to you.

I still use FF a lot, but now use ZA ForceField with it.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Have you enabled the SPEECH feature? Great to sit back and have the text read to you.

I hear too many voices already :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users