Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Annoying Columns On Screen (screenshots Inside)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 egstr

egstr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:24 PM

I'm using Windows XP and do not currently get any error messages. This problem has been occurring off and on for a few months. It will show up for a week, then will disappear for a few weeks, only to return. I'm not sure what triggered this, as it happened so long ago, but my best guess is that it started around the same time I was downloading some torrents.

I've downloaded AVG antivitus, and spyware removal programs, but none of them have helped. The problem seems to have a mind of its own, coming and going whenever it likes. I have no idea why (and doubt this will help solve the problem), but if I stay in iTunes for a while and don't touch anything, the lines go away in the iTunes window, but are still there outside the window. I apologize for the lack of clarity, but this is the best I can do. The screen shots will describe the problem better than I ever could:

Those horizontal lines you see constantly flash off and on, making it difficult and annoying to do just about anything on the computer.
Posted Image

When I scroll up or down, everything in the columns becomes distorted. The only way to get it back like the first screenshot is to press the "restore" button next to the "close" and "minimize" buttons in the upper right corner.
Posted Image

ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

Maybe RUN-- dxdiag

Open RUN - type in dxdiag - hit ok.
Do tests...

Or change refresh rate on monitor.

Posted Image

Maybe...

Edited by medab1, 01 December 2007 - 05:45 PM.

#3 egstr

egstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I just changed the refresh rate (to 75, then 85) and it didn't solve the problem. However, when I ran the test you suggested, this is what came up:
Posted Image

I'm googling DirectX right now to find the upgrade.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

Trust me on this---

Download direct x from Microsoft--

Link--

Click here for microsoft direct x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by medab1, 01 December 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#5 egstr

egstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

Trust me on this---

Download direct x from Microsoft--

Link--

Click here for microsoft direct x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the link. I installed DirectX, restarted, and ran the test. It says "No Problems Found. But as you can see, the problem hasn't gone away.

Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

To my untrained eyes...it would appear that maybe the video card is on the fritz.

Uninstall/reinstall the video card/chipset drivers yet?

Change monitors to see if it's a video source problem or a monitor problem?

Check Event Viewer for errors that might impact?

Louis

#7 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

Something similar happened to me on a laptop. Every time i moved the screen (like opened or closed the lid) the screen would go all buggy. It turned out to be a moniter problem. I had to send in the computer and have the LCD replaced. If this is a desktop, plug in a different moniter to see if it works. If its a laptop, try plugging in an external moniter or plug it into a TV or something. If it is not doing it on other moniters then it's your monitor that is broken.

hope i helped
-lhamil64

#8 egstr

egstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

To my untrained eyes...it would appear that maybe the video card is on the fritz.

Uninstall/reinstall the video card/chipset drivers yet?

Change monitors to see if it's a video source problem or a monitor problem?

Check Event Viewer for errors that might impact?

Louis

I'm almost positive that the monitor is not the problem. The lines act differently when windows is starting up, and sometime disappear altogether in iTunes. Also, when I press the "auto configure" button on the monitor, the line's don't appear within the box that pops up.
I'll spend some time figuring out how to check and do everything else you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by egstr, 01 December 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#9 egstr

egstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

Something similar happened to me on a laptop. Every time i moved the screen (like opened or closed the lid) the screen would go all buggy. It turned out to be a moniter problem. I had to send in the computer and have the LCD replaced. If this is a desktop, plug in a different moniter to see if it works. If its a laptop, try plugging in an external moniter or plug it into a TV or something. If it is not doing it on other moniters then it's your monitor that is broken.

hope i helped
-lhamil64

The problem is on a Dell desktop computer. It's a few years old. I just plugged the desktop monitor into my laptop, and the screen was fine. So the monitor is definitely NOT the problem. Thanks for the comment.

Edited by egstr, 01 December 2007 - 10:46 PM.

#10 egstr

egstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

Well, I did everything you guys said (as well as cleaning the video card, it was dusty as hell) and now the screen is back to normal. I'm pretty damn sure it was because of something you guys suggested because the problem was on nonstop for over a week and until it stopped just a few minutes ago. Thanks again for your time and knowledge :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers: .

Edited by egstr, 02 December 2007 - 01:22 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Congrats, happy computing :thumbsup:.

The card may have been periodically overheating (SWAG), as system components will when proper air flow doesn't occur.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users