Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hpselect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hermez

Hermez

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hello!

I have 32GB diskspace and HPSelect uses a LOT of space, about 1/4 of my diskspace.

Is this a significant file in XP?

Can it be removed without any ill effects? :thumbsup:

Thanks for your time,

Hermez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

Is this a HP computer? Did you install the app. or buy the computer second-hand? It looks like a useless app. to me. It's for businesses using SAP applications. I wouldn't use it. Here's a description of it is. Is it listed in Add/Remove programs?
Mark
https://h10078.www1.hp.com

Edited by garmanma, 01 December 2007 - 03:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Hermez

Hermez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hello.

This computer is an HP Pavillion, and it came with Windows xp already installed.

The HPSelect app I'm assuming came with it, cuz I didn't put it on there.

It looks like a useless app to me, but then I'm a noob, so I don't know if it would affect any other

apps if I removed it.

If anyone has any detailed knowledge of HPSelect and it's relation to XP, your help would be

greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hermez

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

HP Select Identity offers you centralized management and provisioning of users, passwords and entitlements across disparate IT systems. This software extends role-based management with a unique business service model that helps you speed deployment. It also addresses the large-scale change events that impact your users and their access, including re-organizations, mergers and the deployment of new IT systems.

It is a business IT management application. The relationship to XP you ask, is that it is residing on an XP based machine. Nothing more. The same relationship could be made for PC based game. It resides on an XP based machine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Hermez

Hermez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:08 AM

Welp, whatever pointless purpose it serves, it occupies 5,782 MB of diskspace.

So I'm cuttin' that fatboy loose. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thanks for the help, folks,

Hermez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users