Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Mobo And Cpu Causing Problems

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 valveman

valveman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:04 AM

hi, ive just upgraded my mobo and cpu from a gigabyte 945gzm-s2 and intel celeron 2.53ghz skt 775 to a gigabyte n650sli-ds4l and intel e6750 core 2 duo skt 775, and am having problems.
i was told that all i had to do was replace these in my tower and install the drivers for my mobo and windows allready installed on my hddrive would run fine. but its not.
these are my immediate problems:
1- pc is running a lot slower now than when it had my old mobo & cpu
2- i have a `safely remove hardware` icon in my tray which when i clicked on it to see what it was, found it to be my hddrive
3- my red hddrive led on front of tower is constantly on
4- free ram xp pro is showin my memory (2gig ddr2) to be running @ about 1530mb, when it was running @ about 1700-1800mb with my old set up

any help will be much appreciated before i :thumbsup:
cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article . This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

The Microsoft article can be read here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 valveman

valveman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

thanks, but im a newbie at upgrading pc`s and after reading your reply and the article, i still dont know how to rectify my problem.
is there any chance someone can give me an easy to follow step-by-step resolve?
cheers

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

What those articles say is that whoever told you that this would be fine was mistaken. Changing major components in a Windows system (without reinstalling) can be a major headache!

I'd have to suggest that you do a repair install of Windows by following these directions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If the computer is still running poorly after that, then it's a matter of removing all the old drivers (and the references to them) and installing new one's.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 valveman

valveman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

If the computer is still running poorly after that, then it's a matter of removing all the old drivers (and the references to them) and installing new one's.

ive just done the repair but its exactly the same. how do i remove the old drivers? ive tried re-installing the new ones but its just the same.
should i just bite the bullet and format and do a clean install of windows?
thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:02 PM

I'd say that a clean install was a better bet than trying to remove all the drivers IMO. Just the thought of hunting down all instances of the drivers in both your registry and hard drive gives me a headache! :thumbsup:

Here's an article at Dell that describes the preferred order of installing the drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...040A68F5B281A12
Although it's for Dell's - it's a pretty good list for most systems (skip the first item as it's Dell specific).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

To remove old drivers, just go into Device Manager and remove anything reflected which does not pertain to hardware currently on your system.

Then reboot. Upon reboot, XP will no longer be burdened with drivers for items which are not on board. If you happen to remove a component that is on your current system, XP will prompt you for the drivers.

IMO, a clean install is probably a surer solution (or attempt at one), since file corruption of some type may have occurred in your current XP setup and new drivers won't cure that.

But...that's just the way I see things :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:34 AM

I apologize for the confusion, I had thought that the article was pretty clear in pointing out that you would probably require reinstalling the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

The article IS pretty clear, but users sometimes have a way of misinterpreting such to fit their own wants :flowers:.

I do it all the time :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 valveman

valveman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

sorry but i got pissed off with it and formatted.
now ive done a clean install of xp it seems to be fine apart from the `Safely remove hardware` icon in my tray again. it only showed up when i installed my chipset drivers again, on this new install.
thanks anyways.

Edited by valveman, 02 December 2007 - 01:12 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

With what you were describing it looks like you were headed that way anyway. It's a good lesson for the future, back up your important files on removable media, CDs, DVDs, flash drives... I learned this lesson the hard way as well two years ago, the thing is to learn from it.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

it seems to be fine apart from the `Safely remove hardware` icon in my tray again. it only showed up when i installed my chipset drivers again, on this new install.
thanks anyways.

Do you have anything plugged into a USB port?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

I've seen, at times, the Safely Remove Hardware icon associated with media card readers that are hooked into the USB header on the mobo. It showing up when installing the chipset drivers is a normal part of the install - if something's connected to the USB headers/ports.

#14 valveman

valveman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

i do have my mouse, and my printer connected through usb, but the `safely remove hardware` is wanting to remove my hddrive.

p.s. since the fresh install of windows, i have noticed that my pc is still running really slow. much slower than it did when i had my old mobo/cpu.
any ideas folks?
cheers

#15 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

did you install all the motherboard drivers, and patches, checked to see if you have the latest BIOS update?
I'd like to see the results of a new benchmark test done with PC Wizard, please.

could you post exact manufacturer and model of the ram you reused?

Edited by RLI, 03 December 2007 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users