Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Installed Ubuntu And I Have A Few Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:09 AM

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 and during the install some files where lost specifically all of my videos, bittorrent downloads, and all of my setup files there where stored in their own folders in my document in windows if that helps I was unable to backup these files and was wondering if anyone new of a way to recover these files I was thinking file recovery software but would like a second opinion first also I was able to save my firefox profile and was wondering where the current one would be saved so I can replace it. I would also like to know if anyone knew how to run a .exe which is the windows file extension for a application.

note: I also lost the folder containing my "other" files and would like to recover those they where stored seperate of my docs.

Edited by JacksonT, 01 December 2007 - 04:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

We need to know how you installed Ubuntu. Like the partition set up. Did you allow a dual boot system or did you have Ubuntu take the whole disk? Were you set up to have my documents in a seperate partition? Did you delete any partitions during the setup? WINE and Cedega are the two most popular oftions for running .exe in windows. Mind you, it still may not work if no one has ported it.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:53 AM

To me it sounds like you formatted your hdd. Unfortunatly, if you did that (like you can no longer access windows) then there really is no good way to get them back. There are some ways but they are pretty hard and i have never tried them.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

There are some ways but they are pretty hard and i have never tried them.

If they have been overwritten, there is no way to get them back, unless one has a really expensive piece of equipment, a sterile room, and some highly trained professionals to do the work. Overwriting the data is not the same as simply overwriting the file allocation table.

I am not clear on whether or not the system si still bootable into Windows? Is it? Or did you intend to do away with Windows and just use Linux?

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

There are some ways but they are pretty hard and i have never tried them.

If they have been overwritten, there is no way to get them back, unless one has a really expensive piece of equipment, a sterile room, and some highly trained professionals to do the work.

If you're law enforcement, the FBI can do all of this for you...all for free.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

Providing the FBI had a reason to do so, otherwise they are not really a 'for-hire' type of organization.

#7 JacksonT

JacksonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Well so much for my files and I figured out my Firefox profile and I can get wine no problem. But another problem has come up I am unable to get the Debian menu to show in the applications menu also when ever I try to edit the clock but I can not edit it all and my computer has frozen up twice when I open up the window.

edit: Well know I have a much bigger problem after I installed wine I also installed the virus scanner I found in the search but it went unresponsive and I had to force it to quit after which my computer was running slow so I decided to restart it o see if that would help but as Ubuntu was loading my screen went black for a second and text started scrolling down the screen saying it was running and falling a memory check because I have some sort of corruption and gave me a command line I believe I may I have to re-install Ubuntu which is fine but I would still like to know what happened.

Edited by JacksonT, 02 December 2007 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users