Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express To Slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

I haven't been posting lately, it's the fishing season here.

I'm pretty sure you have seen something like this before from what I see on the internet.

But it still isn't clear to me, where the advantage is.

Sending photos and pictures, heck AOL was better !

Is there a way to improve this, (outlook Express), by keeping the general program, for example, a different version or a different service, presently I have a dial-up service.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

Expect OE to send and receive POP E-mails slowly because of the speed of your dialup Internet connexion, especially if there are attachments.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

The best way to improve Outlook's performance is to not use it. And unless you're way out in the boonies where it isn't available, a DSL line only runs about $30/mo.*

I started using web-based e-mail a number of years ago, when I was between computers. One thing I find web-mail has over Outllok is that nothing is stored directly to your HD unless you download it yourself. All mail, saved mail, address book(s) - it's all stored on the server.

I once had a major system crash because the HD went south. After fixing the problem and re-installing the OS and other software, everything related to e-mail was still right where I'd left it- on the server. Nothing lost. And with nothing being stored directly to your HD, security becomes an order of magnitude higher. Best of all, you can have multiple web-based e-mail accounts. Give the authorities access to your every day account, while the nefarious activity account remains hidden - in plain view, so to speak. :thumbsup:

* New Hampshire - other localities my vary.

Edited by MattV, 01 December 2007 - 12:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users