Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"send To" Locks Omputer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Brue

Bob Brue

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

When cursor pauses on "send to" button in drop down menu of a file, the cursor becomes frozen.

Edited by Bob Brue, 30 November 2007 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

If you leave it for a while, does it "unfreeze" itself? Or does it stay frozen forever? If it's the first one, then it's likely a resource issue (something is hogging your computer's resources), if it the last one - then it's likely that a program is malfunctioning and causing this.

Two different ways to proceed with this, so we'll have to know which in order to get started.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Bob Brue

Bob Brue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:43 AM

If you leave it for a while, does it "unfreeze" itself? Or does it stay frozen forever? If it's the first one, then it's likely a resource issue (something is hogging your computer's resources), if it the last one - then it's likely that a program is malfunctioning and causing this.

Two different ways to proceed with this, so we'll have to know which in order to get started.

It stays frozen. I use alt/ctrl/del to end the process.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:54 AM

Which process do you end to "unfreeze" it? Is it explorer.exe? If so, use this free utility to see what's running within the explorer.exe process: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

The most valuable tab here (IMO) is probably the Threads tab of the Properties dialog. To get there without right clicking, go to the "Process" menu item and then click on "Properties". Leave this Windows visible and then go right click on something and select "Send To" - and see what pops up in the dialog. With that info we may be able to isolate the cause.

Also, you may also want to keep an eye on the main window of Process Explorer to see what it does when you select "Send To".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bob Brue

Bob Brue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

Which process do you end to "unfreeze" it? Is it explorer.exe? If so, use this free utility to see what's running within the explorer.exe process: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

The most valuable tab here (IMO) is probably the Threads tab of the Properties dialog. To get there without right clicking, go to the "Process" menu item and then click on "Properties". Leave this Windows visible and then go right click on something and select "Send To" - and see what pops up in the dialog. With that info we may be able to isolate the cause.

Also, you may also want to keep an eye on the main window of Process Explorer to see what it does when you select "Send To".

It looks like I will need on site help. Thanks for trying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users