Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Configuration For Pcanywhere

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

I have XP Pro OS, 2 MB RAM, 2GHz processor, 250 GB HD, PC. I have a Linksys home wireless router, and appropriate wireless adapters for the laptop and desktop.

I am trying to install pcAnywhere (11) so that I can access remotely my desktop while on the road.

I can connect from my laptop to my desktop 'internally' (within the house here); I cannot connect from outside my personal network.

I understand that I have to configure the router to respond to my laptop, via the router IP address; and that the router has to be configured accordingly.

I need help in doing this. I have the user's guide...all 213 pages of it. Does it take that much print to describe how this can be accomplished?

Thanks in advance of the assistance.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi what is the model number of the router?
MCP
MSDST

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Linksys WRT54G

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

You have to forward 2 ports (5631 and 5632 I believe) in order for incoming traffic to be directed to your home PC. Here's a link for your router: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers.../pcAnywhere.htm

What this does is it tells the router to forward any incoming traffic on those ports to your computer. And pcAnywhere's Host on your computer is listening for traffic on those ports so it can activate.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Thank you again for this information....however, I have a fe questions about the writeup.

Page 2 (Port Forwarding for the Linksys WRT45G)...top of page...starting with Open a web browser..... It states enter the IP address of your router in the address bar of the browser....

#6 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

Sorry...that was sent prematurely...

pg 2....Enter IP address:

Is this the static IP address or the IP address obtained by accessing 'whatismyip.com'? It states that the default should be 192.168.1.1; how is this obtained. If I go to 'whatismyip', I get 65.190.159.231. If I go to 'ifconfig', I get 192.168.1.101. Which should I use?

Same page: Enter Network Password window:

Below this window is an explanation of what should be entered. It states that the User name is blank and the password is 'admin'; however, it shows that the username is 'admin' and there is a hidden password.

At any rate, neither work for me, for all the combinations of the IP addresses listed above and the username and passwords shown above and in the description.

This is as far as I got...can't get past the username/password screen.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

polaris6

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi, polaris6, the correct address is 192.168.1.1 if you then get to the enter password and the user name field is left blank and the password is "admin" (no quotes).
If this doesnot work who set up your router? Did they alter the username and passowrd because the only way around it will be to reset your router to factory defaults and enter all the configuration info back into the router....not to difficult though.
Here is a link to your routers user manual http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?b...d=4867237401B02

Edited by Monty007, 03 December 2007 - 10:55 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#8 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:52 AM

Thanks...that worked...the instructions should be amended to reflect what is correct/appropriate.

you guys are great, especially when you work after you have renewed your magician's license.

Thanks again.

polaris6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users