Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gator50

gator50

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Out of the blue, when I try to load a new software program, the CD drive doesn't "see" anything in the drive. Is this something I can fix, or does it sound like I need to replace the CD drive? I tried using the other drive below it, and the software starts to load (I can hear a whirring), but it then locks up, and i have to re-boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Go to Go to Start>Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes and look for your drives and see if there are any yellow exclamation points or red X's by them. You can also check to see if it's recognized in the BIOS and let us know
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

Had to fix a similar problem for an end user on his CD-ROM drive which suddenly stopped working and was no longer recognized in My Computer. Turned out to be the Removable Storage service was not running.

Check the CD-ROM drive by opening up My Computer after inserting the disc.
Verify that the CD-ROM drive even shows up in the My Computer window.
Open the Computer Management console and check Removable Storage and Disk Managment nodes under the Storage Tree by highlighting each one to view the contents.
-Removable Storage
-> Highlight and expand the Removable storage node, highlight Media to see if there is anything recognized there.

-Disk Management
-> Highlight the Disk Management node to see if there is any media detected in the CD-ROM drive. By default if there is no media detected, it will say 'no media'.

In the Computer Management console, check the Services node and verify whether or not the Removable Storage service is started and running.
-Services
-> Click in the right pane and scroll to highlight the Removable Storage service, right-click and choose Properties from the shortcut list.
-> Once the Properties applet is open, check the Startup Type drop-down list to see if it is set to Manual or Automatic.
-> Start the service (if it is not already started, in the case that it is set to Manual) using the radio buttons in the Service status section.
-> Restart the service if necessary using the hyperlink that is below Removable Storage which will appear under Services near the divider between L and R panes.
-> If the service is not started and you start it manually, go back to My Computer and see if the CD-ROM drive recognizes the media.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 03 December 2007 - 03:59 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users