Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Macros In Excel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hello everyone,
Here at work we have an excel spreadsheet that we are using to track some things. I attempted to make some macros assinged to a command click box but I decided they weren't going to prove usefull, so I deleted them. Now when we open Excel we get a security warning diolouge box stating, "Macros may contain viruses. It is usually safe to disable macros, but if the macros are legitimate, you might lose some functionality." I have the option to disable or enable.

When going to Tools>>>Macro>>>Macros, there is nothing there and I can't seem to find anything wrong in VBA. I've tried turning down the security settings to low they immediatly revert to medium upon pressing 'OK'. This is a company computer, so I'm sure that is something they have locked. I've read to go into regedit to all Excel to run any macros without the box prompt, but access is blocked to regedit as well.

I guess playing with VBA and macros with no experience isn't really a wise idea on a shared/needed file :thumbsup:

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

It's a feature of both Word and Excel since I don't recall when, probably '97 systems :thumbsup:

Once you write even the tiniest macro, even if you delete it, the flag inside the application isn't cleared and so you end up with the nag screen forever. The only solution I found, when it annoys, is to copy or move all sheets to a new workbook (Edit > Move or Copy sheet, then on the dialog just select (new book), check Create a copy). I'd Create a copy and only when it all works in the new book, I'd get rid of the original since you might have some links.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

If you have macros behind the sheet itself, what I wrote might not clear things 100% if they belong to a sheet. I don't know, I'm just guessing. In that instance you may have to do a more drastic thing, that of copying values only on each sheet, but I hope you won't have to.

#4 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

Since we had 12 tabs I just went ahead and took the original and re-edited it without adding any macros. Thank you for letting us know it won't go away; we would've been playing with it for a couple more days I'm sure!

I'll ask one more question here and hope to get an answer, otherwise I'll start a new topic.
On this workbook we keep track of customer units. If the unit returns from repair we'll send them a post card every five days until it is picked up. In column B we have the date the unit returned, in column F we have the date to send the card, column H is the second card and column J is the date to call (It is all formulated so it updates when column B is changed [=IF(B4="","",B4+5)]). What I would like to do is apply a conditional formating to make it easier to notice if a card would need to be sent on the current day. Is there a way to apply this to a whole sheet or workbook? I tried setting it to formula=today() and value=today() but that didn't work.

Thanks in advance!

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

Yes, it won't work.

The easiest thing is to use Autofilter on the fly. It's on the Tools menu.
So long as your data table is contiguous, I.e. no blank rows or columns, you can easily FILTER out for today's date which will show up in the dropdown, or use Custom filter and enter the date when the value is equal to the date.
Selecting All will revert the display to all rows.

If you insist on coloring (how do you filter for 'red' I always wonder), you may need to have a column next to your dates where you say date in col.F=today(),set it to -1, otherwise 0, and then you can make the negatives red using the built in conditionals or one of the built-in formats for numbers.
=IF(F4=TODAY(),-1,0) but that'll color the flag cell and not the cell left of it where the date is.

Finally, you can, in the conditional dialog enter 12/4/2007, but I'd think that's a pain. The Autofilter is simpler, even if it might require some redesign on your part, like elimination of blank rows or columns (remember, you can always widen the size of those if it's visually important).

Hope something from here will help you :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 04 December 2007 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users