Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSO Exploits?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:35 AM

hi, gang...good to see everyone active...i have one small, quick question. i now run my adaware and spybot twice weekly...and every time i run spybot it comes up with the exact same thing...DSO EXPLOITS...i remove it every time, it says it has been successfully removed everytime. yet, every time i run spybot...there it is again!!

Any words of wisdom, oh wise ones?

nmdamgud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:07 PM

Try running the program in Safe Mode with system restore disabled. Don't forget to re-enable SystemRestore afterwards and set a manual checkpoint for it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

Hi dg,
What you describe is a bug in the newest version of Spybot. DSO Exploit is a security flaw in Internet Explorer that will no longer affect you if your IE and Operating System is fully updated. Of course if you're not fully updated you should get that way.

You can find a technical explaination of what's going on at the Spybot S&D support forum here:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.ph...hl=dso+exploits

An official explaination and discussion with what your options are (if you read the whole thread) here:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=17159

This is confusing a lot of people so I'm going to pin this topic. I'll come back later with a clearer explaination of what should be done when this happens. But for right now, just ignore it.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

The DSO Exploit is a bug in Spybot S&D. If you have your sytem updated with the latest patches you are fine.

Here is some information from their support forum http://forums.net-integration.net/index.ph...hl=dso+exploits

#5 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:40 AM

ignore it? i can do that...i am, after all, a woman!!

damgud :thumbsup:

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:02 AM

Yah, well men can ignore it too. :thumbsup:

Another option is to exclude DSO exploit from further searches. That way it won't come up in the scan results so there won't be anything to ignore.

You may have to run Spybot S&D in Advanced mode. Click Mode in the toolbar and select Advanced. When the scan is complete, right click on the DSO Exploit entry(s) and select Exclude.

There is some question as to whether this exploit has actually been fixed by MS. Does anyone know which patch addresses this issue?

There is a small freeware utility called DSOStop that is supposed to correct the exploit, but as I understand it, it goes beyond that to basically disable ActiveX altogether. So I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand exactly what it does and how it would affect your browsing experience. If you want to surf without the dangers of ActiveX or any other MS flaws try an alternate browser like Mozilla or Opera.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 pacino

pacino

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:55 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem with DSO exploits after having had the about:blank virus/spyware.

Thought I had removed this by using CWshredder, Ad-Aware, Norton and Spybot S&D plus updating to XP service pack 1a/2, but still exists.

You seem to think it is not a problem and a glitch with Spybot, but I think I may still have the or at least "a" virus/spyware as my machine is displaying the following symptoms:

Slow running times on internet
No pop ups tab in the tools menu of IE (so I can block them)
A changed toolbar in IE (lost the back/forward arrows and new things added)
Strange clicking noise when entering sites like there is a redirection
Yellow exclamation mark by the cursor hand when going to hotmail/other sites

I think this is related to the about:blank redirection and the DSO exploits but.....

The last two weeks has been a fair introduction to the world of viruses for me so any info greatly received!
Regards

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:09 AM

pacino You should start your own topic. There is most definitely something going on with your 'puter.

Edited by Scarlett, 25 August 2005 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

For those who use Spybot and are still receiving the DSO Exploit error. You can download the following file that should help to fix it:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

#10 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:33 PM

For those who use Spybot and are still receiving the DSO Exploit error. You can download the following file that should help to fix it:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

Marvy, finally a patch from a site I trust. I have seen a patch before but the site it was on was well, lets just say questionable. :thumbsup:

#11 malibu4u

malibu4u

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

Nmdamgud...Did you get rid of your DSO Exploits? I had them and got rid of them without the download.

#12 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for this info. Sorry for duplicating this post below before seeing this!

Ally.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users