Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio distortion while scrolling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jay M

Jay M

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:27 PM

: :thumbsup: Hi--I have Windows XP/40GB/Powerspec 8705

Whenever I play any audio with Windows Media Player, or Real Player, or Roxio Audio Player (I have tried all three and a fourth one too), I get a dragging sound when I scroll in the browser, as though the mouse were controlling the audio, which also distorts as I scroll. This started happening a few months ago and had not occurred during the first year I had the computer

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jay M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:41 PM

What kind of sound card/computer is it?

Also have you tried upgrading the drivers for your sound card recently?

#3 Jay M

Jay M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:10 PM

Hi it's a Powerspec 8705. I don't know much about it but it's been great otherwise. Don't know what kind of soundcard, but it never did this distortion before, so I tend to think it's something I changed that makes this happen.

I have done the soundcard upgrade already, when I was advised about this problem on another forum.

Also, I have been told this is not uncommon and I may have to live with it....?

Thanks

JM

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:41 PM

Lets try a few things...

Open up internet explorer and click on Tools and then Internet Options. Then click on the Advanced tab and scroll down till you see the Multimedia section. Uncheck "Play sounds in webpages" and see if you are still having the problem.

If you are go back to the same location and under the Browsing section, uncheck smooth scrolling and let me know how that works.

Just some things to try.

#5 Jay M

Jay M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:02 AM

Thanks very much Grinler. I will try those things and get back to you.

Your advice is appreciated.

#6 Jay M

Jay M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:46 PM

Grinler

I tried unchecking 'play sound in web pages' and uncheked 'use smooth scrolling'. But I still get the dragging sound when I scroll with the media player in audio mode.

I have 512MB RAM, if that means anything. My hard drive is less than 25% full, the temp files are minimal.

Wonder what I did?

JM

#7 BioHazard

BioHazard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:05 AM

My system does the same thing... I found the issue to be my TV tuner cards requirement to have the TV sound out to the Sound card input. Try muting the input on your Sound card.

in XP the steps are:
Click start go to your settings----control panel-----sounds and audio devices.
when there click on advanced button. click mute on the input. if input is not showing up in the line of sound levels then click options----properties and click on the input button. then do the steps above. if the sound disappears it was the input.

also if you have your wav on the machine set down low and the speaker volume up high you can get some odd noises too.

#8 Jay M

Jay M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

I have already muted the input. But your suggestion of the different volume levels may be helpful. I will look into this.

Thanks again to all of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users