Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noob Question About Public Proxies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hermez

Hermez

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hello all.

As the topic reads, my questions are about public proxies.

First of all, how do I successfully access a proxy? Do I have to type in the IP of the proxy?

Second, after accessing the proxy, how can I tell if I am anonymous?

I would tremendously appreciate anyone's help who has knowledge and experience with this topic.

Thank you,

Hermez :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 msass

msass

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

What browser are you using? I primarily use Firefox, but for both FF and IE you can go into the Options, then connection settings and manually enter the IP of a proxy server. FF also has several extensions that will do things like import a list of proxies from a text file, and then select which proxy to use from within the extension - extension takes care of changing the FF settings. You can also research utilities like Tor and Privoxy, which connect to a public network of proxy servers - you then add an extension to FF to use Tor.

Note that this may make your browser use the proxy, but then things like opening streaming media into Windows Media Player may bypass the proxy server unless you configure those separately.

To check if you're anon after enabling the proxy, you can go to various sites like http://www.my-proxy.com/com/info.php or showmyip.com, which will check what your IP appears to be from their point of view.

I found my-proxy.com to be a good resource for finding out a lot more about proxies. Note that even if they show your IP as something other than your *real* IP, other details about your connection may be leaked by the proxy server. It's not easy to find proxy servers that can actually make you 100% anonymous.

#3 Hermez

Hermez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hello msass

Thanks alot, friend. :thumbsup:

#4 Hermez

Hermez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

By the way, FF and IE are the browsers that I use as well, if you have any additional info.

Thanks,

Hermez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users