Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Wireless Card Failing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jaimber

jaimber

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

Hello,
I just moved and set up my wireless network last night. I've successfully connected to the network with 3 computers, but my desktop doesn't seem to want to work. I have a Linksys Wireless G router and my desktop has a Linksys Wireless PCI card v2.7.
My computer detects the network, but when I try to connect I get the following message: "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again." When I refresh the list all of the networks disappear. They don't reappear until I fiddle with the adapter settings or reboot.
I can connect to the neighbor's unprotected wireless network, so this error is hard for me to troubleshoot. I've restarted my computer, repaired the connection, changed the wireless channels, etc, but nothing seems to be working. Is my wireless card dying?
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Are the other computers that can connect hardwired or are they wireless also?

I would first make sure that your Local Area Connection on this wireless computer is disabled. On XP go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections (in Classic View) and then right click on your local area connection and then make sure it is disabled.

This may or may not be the issue.

Also, is it possible that there is any interference going on? Meaning: Your router broadcasts at a frequency of 2.4GHz. Many cordless telephones do too. I have seen, in the past, this cause problems with wireless connections similar to what you have going on.

You can also try to update or re-install the drivers for that PCI card.

Of course it is always possible that the wireless NIC is dying too...

#3 jaimber

jaimber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. I did disable my local area connection but that didn't do the trick.

We have 3 other computers that have connected wirelessly with no issues... and I can connect to neighbor's unsecured networks with the desktop in question which is why troubleshooting has been so difficult.

I also did re-install the driver, which didn't help either. I'm all out of ideas here... Do you have any more?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

Recently (at work) we've had a couple of issues with the LinkSys connection software. I'd suggest disabling it and trying to use the Windows software to connect.

As I recall, the LinkSys software leaves a green box in your system tray - and you can right click on it to turn it off (and let Windows manage your connection).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users