Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Check Stops And I Need To Restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rixmaestro

rixmaestro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

Everytime I'll open my PC, there will be a part that a blue screen will appear and that disk checking is recommended. At first, I did not cancel it. The step 1 run smoothly but it stops in step 2. It is already 15 minutes but there is still no progress (step 2: 0%). That's why I decided to restart my PC and to cancel it everytime I'll open my PC. I haven't done anything to solve this problem because I don't have the knowledge. I hope I can fix it with out reformatting my PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AzureEd

AzureEd

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

Disk Checking usually takes 1 hour minimum unless you have a clean drive. I have done disk checking for a long time. The scan disk utility is used to check for bad sectors and harddrive problems.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

Let it run when no one else will be using the computer. Overnight or if no one will be home during the day. If after that length of time it is still stalled, you'll know something isn't working correctly.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

In general the disk check that you describe is the result of the "dirty" bit being set on the computer's file system (on the hard drive). The only way to stop it is to allow the disk check to complete.

If it never completes, then there's an issue with the file system on your computer - and you should run chkdsk /f /r To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. It'll tell you that it can't do it now and will ask to do it at the next reboot. Select "Y" for yes and then reboot - it should run and fix the file structure.

Some problems will, occasionally, result in the "dirty" bit remaining set - and the only easy cure for that is a format of the hard drive (which would erase everything that's on it).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

I bet if you were running just chkdsk on CMD during windows environment would also results as the same..jams after second part scanning. My advice is the same with others, let it scan you drive fully. And before it does, get rid of any old temporarily files and prefetchs. Do a "cleanmgr" or even better do it manually that is faster. Hope that will help.
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

As someone alluded to...the larger the hard drive or partition being checked...and the more the partition needs it...the longer it will take. You need to let it run to completion.

I usually do a check on my large drives (250/500GB) with lots of video files...overnight.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users