Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Folder icon Change

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 radiumlight

radiumlight

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

I've heard "somewhere" changing folder icons on the desktop (Win98SE) is possible. I only have a few, but would like them to be different from each other. I don't want to chance downloading "skins and Themes" with all their spyware attached. I'd like to either add my own or even use some of Microsofts that are available to replace the "big blue e" for URL's on the desktop. But the right click option to change icons is only present for URL icons, not folders. It was also interesting to note that those icons have .dll extensions, not .ico.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Radiumlight
:thumbsup:
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:30 PM

Not used 98 for a while so I may be wrong. Right-click desktop icon you want to change. Choose 'properties'. Click 'shortcut ' tab. 'Change icon' should be here.

#3 radiumlight

radiumlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

Hi pip22,

The only tabs available after R click > properties are: General and Shared

The shortcut tab shows up with R click > properties for URL shortcuts on desktop only.

Thanks for trying. Any utilities/tweaks maybe?

Radiumlight
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

#4 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:20 PM

Hi radiumlight,

Icons are normally stored in a file with an ico extention. I think if you change the ico file then the Icon will change accordingly. However, I'm not sure about applications like Internet Explorer, they may well be stored within the program file when it is compiled.

Certainly when I was compiling MS Access programs the Icon file was included in the compile file parameters. There maybe programs like TweekUI or others that manipulate ops system setting that may allow you to change Icons.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Peter

#5 radiumlight

radiumlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Penmore :thumbsup:

I can't seem to find the path from the Desktop to the original .ico file for folders. I want to make them more individual, like color coded. The URL icon path is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\url.dll (in Win98SE) or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL In here I can choose from 30 or so icons to "colorcode" my URL shortcuts so each one looks different, but I find no way/path to change the yellow folders.

Thanks for trying.

Radiumlight
Abraham Lincoln

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

I just created a shortcut to a folder on my C: drive and when I right clicked on it and went to properties I found that under the shortcut tab I can change the icon. So, if you were to make a folder on your C: drive and place the contents of the desktop folder there you will be able to do what you want to do.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 radiumlight

radiumlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Leurgy,

That works just fine! Just what I wanted. :thumbsup:

Radiumlight
:flowers:
Abraham Lincoln

#8 trahcwolf

trahcwolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:56 AM

I have found that when I right click on the desktop, even for newly created folders, that I only see the tabs General and sharing. I am unable to change the icons of any desktop folder.
Any constructive help would be appreciated

(Using Windows xp on a Dell laptop...)

Edited by trahcwolf, 11 May 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#9 trahcwolf

trahcwolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

I am using Windows XP Professional...

I have created new folders on my laptop's desktop.
Within these folders are shortcuts to other programs.
This way, instead of 50 program icons on my desktop,
there are only a few folders with related programs within.

These folders on my desktop each have an icon that
looks like a manila folder.
I wish to put new icon images on these folders.

I have done so on the pc in my study, by
right-clicking on the folders, selecting Properties,
and was greeted with the tabs General, Sharing and Customize.

On my laptop, however, when I right click and select
Properties, I only get the Geneeral and Sharing tabs

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

I used to use two programs for icons in Win 98. One was AWicons, and the other was Active Icons. I haven't used them for a long time and my memory is a bit sketchy, but I remember Active Icons took a while to move around in. AWicons has a free home use lite version, and I don't remember if Active Icons is free or not. There are other programs that will do this sort of thing. Go to download.com and type "change icons" in the search engine. AWicons will let you create icons pictures from other pictures, and Active Icons will let you change them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users