Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Hd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

I need to know if it's possible to transfer the content of my old faulty hd to a new one.I just want to recover my windows settings , configurations and other installed programs.I just want also to avoid the hassle of starting from the scratch , reinstalling windows and going over the process like before.Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:33 AM

transfer the content of my old faulty hd

if it's faulty then how can you transfer reliably? Are you sure the old hard drive is bad? Or just the OS?

Either way sounds like a clean install is the best option, and try to save some data?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:40 AM

If you know the make and model of the hdd you can go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostic tool for that drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

For transferring files and settings. As long as one of the drives is a Seagate you can use this transfer wizard
Mark
http://www.seagate.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

The only way that I know of to "transfer" programs from one hard drive to another...is by cloning that partition and reinstalling/activating the cloned partition on the new drive.

Data is easy to move, programs do not move from one partition to another once installed. Reinstalling applications is what is called for.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:24 AM

Moving programs without moving the entire OS is a real chore - and often it won't even work no matter what you do. Without going into great detail, it has to do with the Security Identifier Descriptors (SID's) that Windows uses to identify each Windows installation. Each Windows installation has a different SID - and if a program is written that includes a reference to that SID (as most do), then the program will refuse to work on another installation of Windows (because it has a different SID).

Moving settings is possible - but it depends upon why your old hard drive is bad, and how much of the settings are recoverable. Here's a link about transferring profiles: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

You also may want to consider a driver backup tool. Here's a link to a thread about that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...l=driver+backup
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

Hi again,Ive got my pc up and running again after going through tedious reinstallation huh! I was not able to reply for I was looking for new hd that would be compatible with my motherboard P3 733mhz. I was thinking 30 gig hd would be okey but I decided to take 20 gig.What do you think is the max capacity I should have bought that would really work for this machine?Is there a utility that screens out your pc and suggests what hd would be compatible for best upgrade?

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.
In fact,it was the third time it displayed BSOD saying "BOOT-INACCESSIBLE DEVICE".I ran IDE device test that I found inside the BIOS Setup program and it said " Test Failed Drive Replacement recommended".When I tried to boot from bootable CD and ran dir at the command prompt.I got a message that c is invalid drive opposite to d(another partition) which files were clearly listed out.Would there be a way to save some data stored in D partition and migrate it to this drive Ive just got installed?The technician advised me to slave the old drive , is this possible?my old hd was western digital and this new one is samsung.Thanks

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

Sure, Just make sure the new one's jumper is set to master or master with slave present and move the jumper on the old one to slave. Don't know how old your computer is so it's not easy to say what you could get away with on size
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:22 PM

I know how to change jumper setting.I know this seems to be too illogical to ask but I need to. How should I physically connect this two hds?What I can see from inside the cpu , 1 power connector and 1 ide cable to which my new drive is connected now.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

you could temporarily disconnect the cd-rom drive and use the ide and power for it

western digital hd's have a special setting for master with no slave vs master with slave
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:46 AM

Thanks.Ill try this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users