Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP on a Hardware Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kevb8ll

kevb8ll

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

I'm going to replace my mother board soon. I've heard I won't be able to use my copy of XP home again as it is OEM as it will see it as being loaded on a new computer.

Anyone got any ideas of the best way forward on this - except don't upgrade!!

Kev
I don't do silly signature things - not since my Karma ran over my Dogma!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:10 AM

The OEM versions of windows usually allows for one hardware type only.
That is how the Installation ID is generated, however if you activated and it is after 120 days, you can run the repair installation and just re-activate windows.
There is a grace activation of 2 times, you probably used up the first one so only one remaining.
If however you are unable to activate windows again (Invalid product code)
you might want to give M$ a call even though it is OEM they should be the only ones that can help you in this situation

Edited by Futs, 22 February 2005 - 05:11 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users