Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware.minibug Found In C:\system Volume Information

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

I just got AVG antispyware. On the first scan, it found several cookies; no problem. But it also found adware.minibug residing in my c:\system volume information (I never scan D:, but now I will). AVG had defaulted to "Ignore Once," but I changed it to "Delete "chose "Delete" and applied the actions. I ran it a day later and got the same result. As far as I know, I've never had WeatherBug, and if I had, I wouldn't have expected it to affect the System Volume folder.

Ad-aware, Spybot-SD, and Super Antispyware don't pick it up.

Do any of you have any info on this piece of code?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

Weatherbug is an ad-supported desktop weather applicaton by AWS WeatherNet that provides that provides updates on weather conditions and displays real time temperatures in the taskbar icon. Although Weatherbug is not spyware, the free version is ad-supported with both banner and pop up ads which makes it adware. This fact is stated on their website under the section "Why does WeatherBug have advertising?"

It is the advertising sponsors that keep WeatherBug free. WeatherBug found a unique way to make an ad- support ed application “relevant” to each user by allowing them to choose the type of advertising they see every day within the clearly specified limits of the WeatherBug advertising platform. In addition, an “ad-free” version of WeatherBug, called WeatherBug Plus, is available to users for only $19.95 a year. For this price, consumers get all the great features of the free application plus additional premium features in an ad-free environment.

The vendor disagrees on their product being called adware due to the lack of a standard definition. The vendor provides their own definition of what is considered adware.

We believe that the proper definition of adware is any program that secretly gathers personal information through the Internet and relays it back to another computer, generally for advertising purposes. This is often accomplished by tracking information related to Internet browser usage or habits.

The vendor then claims that WeatherBug does not meet the criteria for being labeled adware based on how they define it. However, there are security experts who disagree with their defintion and consider the free program adware.

Further, I would be concerned about the free version since it is ad-supported with banner and pop up ads. These ads could contain code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads which have been reported to install malware. Ads are a target for malware writers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. However, removing the program is considered more of an optional fix.

MiniBugTransporter.dll is a file related to this program and its often detected by anti-virus and other security scans as malware.

Since its only showing in your SIV folder, you need to Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state and use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:21 AM

I followed your advice. It seems to have taken care of it. Thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif