Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Will Not Give My Mom's Laptop An Ip

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jkilmnop

jkilmnop

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

I was doing my report for school, my mom called me over and said that she couldn't connect to the internet or check her e-mail...It says there is limited or no connectivity, why?
Jeffrey Toro

Life is like taking a ride on the road. You really can't stop in the middle of it to check a map, doing so might cause you to take unnecessary risks. Just keep up with what's going on around you and have fun in life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Could be a lot of things. Are you able to connect to it when you are hooked up directly? Is this only a problem with a wireless computer? If it is not specific to the wireless computer you should start by powercycling your equipment (meaning you need to turn both the broadband modem and your router off, then turn the modem back on leaving it on for about a minute and then turning the router back on).

If it is specific to the laptop, does she have her wireless switch or button turned on? On newer Compaq laptops I know the wireless button is right above the keyboard. Older computers will sometimes have a switch on the side. You should see a symbol near it either way that looks like a little wireless tower with waves coming from it. Make sure the button or switch is on.

If you haven't tried restarting the computer yet, do that too.

If the above doesn't work you should check in her network connection to make sure the wireless connection is enabled and her local area connection is disabled.

In Win XP:
Start Menu -> Control Panel (in Classic View) -> Network Connections
You will need to right click on the local area connection. If the first option in the drop down menu is disable then click that. If it is enable then it is fine.
Then right click on the wireless connection and make sure the first option in the drop down is disable. If it is then it's fine. If it says Enable then you need to click to enable it.

In Vista:
Start Menu (windows icon) -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center
Click on the link for Manage Network Connections on the left hand side of the screen
You then need to do the same as above as far as disabling the local area connection and making sure the wireless connection is enabled.

In order to connect to a wireless network you need to right click on the wireless connection icon and then click View Available Wireless Networks. You should see your home network in range. All you have to do is connect from that point.

I hope that helps.

#3 jkilmnop

jkilmnop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

It hooks up when connected directly.
Jeffrey Toro

Life is like taking a ride on the road. You really can't stop in the middle of it to check a map, doing so might cause you to take unnecessary risks. Just keep up with what's going on around you and have fun in life.

#4 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

Well then it's either going to be an issue with the wireless functionality of the router or with the computer.

I would step through the above info first and see if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users