Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hibernates Or Turns Off On Its Own

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

In the past week, my computer has started to go into hibernation mode or turn itself off of it's own accord. I have noticed that this occurs before it can go into the screen-saver mode. Once in hibernation mode, the only way to recover is to turn off the power and reboot. This has occurred while I was online as well. I really don't know if this is a software problem or a hardware problem. None of the power management settings have been changed. Any ideas would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

A lot of things can cause the behavior you describe. Something simple to check first.
Do you have a desktop computer? If so, open the case and check the connections to the hard drive, and from the hard drive to the motherboard. It's possible something has come loose.
If the problem persists, open your case back up. Look for extra power cables NOT attached to anything. (This is the small white pin). If there is an extra one, unhook the one attached to the hard drive and reattach the extra one.
This past summer, I had the same issue. NOTHING would cure it. I ended up taking the computer to the tech. The first thing he did was switch out the power cables on both my hard drives. Problem solved and he didn't charge me for it. I finally found out what the 2 extra white pins were for-something I'd been wondering about for years.
This may or may not work for you-but it is something to consider and possibly try.

#3 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

I should add that my computer only boots up every other time I turn it on. It will power up each time, but the hard drive will only boot every other time I turn the power on. I have two hard drives that I can switch off or on and this happens regardless of which hard drive I'm using. I noticed that my power supply is billed as a "switching" power supply. I'm wondering if this could be malfunctioning. I'm not familiar with the difference between switching and non-switching. Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Check Event Viewer for clues...try the System and Applications tabs, looking for errors. Double-click on any error for more detail on same.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2007 - 06:11 PM.

#5 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

Just wanted to follow up....After checking event viewer and noticing a series of errors involving the system clock and the system bios, I went to the system control panel and reset the CMOS and BIOS settings with the system failsafe default values. This seems to have done the trick although I don't know how they were corrupted to begin with. Many thanks to those who offered help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Your CMOS battery wears down, sometimes unpredictably so.

One of the key signs that you need to replace it (I think it's a $4 item) is when your system date and clock start acting strangely.

Many computers require a CR2032 battery...even if it's not that, it won't hurt to replace it (being careful to note how you take it out and put it back).

Some time messages in Event Viewer can pretty much be ignored, if they relate to inability to synch with the time server you have elected. If this becomes a problem, try changing your server to time-a.nist.gov :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

Well, I spoke too soon. The problem persists! I have run diagnostics on every part of the system and everything passes. I haven't replaced the battery yet. I guess I'll try that next even tho the system clock seems to be working. What other functions does the clock control?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users