Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet Response

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fboice

fboice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

I recently cleaned up my "Start Up" items (this may or may not be associated with the problem I am having - may be coincidental). No viruses, Firewall at Medium security, SpySweeper in operation. 512MB RAM. XP Pro. Working on Cable Modem.

Pages are either VERY slow to load, or will not load at all. Often I must Refresh to get a desired page to show up at all. Many pages will not load at all. "We're sorry but the internet contant you selected is not currently available" message is common.

AOL loads, however slowly. IE is also slow loading the "home page". Going from either home p[age to through a link is a tedious process (including even bringing this form up).

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

First, have you tried powercycling your equipment (like your modem and your router)? Basically you would want to turn both off (if you have a router) and then turn back on your modem first (allowing it to remain on for about a minute) and then turning power back on to the router. Many times speed issues can be correctly by this simple process.

Also, if you have only been using IE then you might want to try clearing cookies/cache/etc if you haven't already. Go to your Tools menu at the top of your screen and go to Internet Options. Depending on the version of IE you have you could see different things like the option to "Delete All" or you might see separate buttons for "Delete Cookies" and "Delete Files". Either way it is a good idea to clear both of these up.

You could try downloading a different internet browser like Mozilla Firefox from getfirefox.com just to see if it's something with the program or not also.

Also, I would run some speed tests to see the speeds you are getting. Especially it might be a good idea to run a speed test while your firewall is on and to run one after you have disabled your firewall. Speed tests are available at:
speedtest.net
speakeasy.net/speedtest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users