Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Broadband Nightmare Need Help Please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

(sorry if this post is in the wrong place please move if needed)

I have been having speed problems with AOL for about 4 weeks and phoned up and got my mac code but decided to give AOL one more chance as i have been with them for around 5 years (big mistake) my old connection was 2 mbps and the new one should be 8 mbps, when i was on the phone i asked what rooter they would send and was told netgear DG834G so i was happy as i have the same one here now and like it but today i received a Speed touch instead so that's is one of the things i am not happy about, i was also told on the phone i had a 7 day cooling off period from the day i get the router so that sounded ok as it all involves an 18 month contract and as i said to them on the phone i was not going to sign up for 18 months if i still get the same problems as before and surprise surprise i still have slow connection.

Then i just received an email from them with this in it.

No Cooling Off Period
The process of changing your account and your connection speed started immediately upon your request to downgrade your AOL Broadband service. For this reason, you do not have the right to cancel your order during any cooling off period.

I will not say the exact words that came out of my mouth when i read this but i am sure you have an idea what they were, only other thing i noticed in the email was this.

The first time you go online using your new AOL Broadband connection, you will be presented with a pop-up containing the AOL Broadband Downgrade Agreement (this may have already happened) and you will need to read and agree to this in order to continue accessing the AOL Broadband Service. By agreeing to the AOL Broadband Downgrade Agreement, you are entering into a new minimum 18 month contract, after which your contract will run on a month-by-month basis.

I have not had this pop-up as i don't use the AOL software i have a direct connection with my DG834G at the moment as i tried to install the Speed touch and i cant get it to install i just get an error message, so i am hoping as i have not had the pop-up i can get out of this contract as i am not happy with AOL one little bit and I'm seriously considering changing now as AOL have let me down in a big way in my opinion.

Any help with this would be most appreciated and also any suggestions on another broadband provider would be good i have been looking at Plusnet or Madasafish but I'm not 100% sure about them.

Almost forgot to say i am in wales UK and not to far from the BT exchange so i should be able to get most Broadband providers but no cable in this area as yet.

Thanks
Scotty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

Time for an update just got of the phone from AOL i told them it was illegal not to give a cooling off period and they apologised (a first for them i think) they told me i now have 6 days left so i am going to wait and see if my connection gets any better but i don't think it will, gives me more time to find another provider.

Still looking for suggestion's for a new provider.

Scotty

Edited by scotty38, 30 November 2007 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users