Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 Won't Empty Deleted Items Or Do An Archive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 msass

msass

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

One of my Outlook users is experiencing numerous problems. He’s running XP Pro SP2 on a Core Duo laptop with 2GB RAM. Outlook 2007 was installed over 2003 – the outlook.pst was originally created in 2003. At some point a while back (over a year ago), he created an archive, but then archiving stopped working, so he just kept letting his main personal folder grow. It got up to about 1.8GB. Outlook is supposed to be able to handle that, but he called me when his Outlook performance started to suffer.

Found an Outlook 2007 update that supposedly fixes performance issues with large .pst files, but he already had newer versions of the files listed in the update. Tried having him do an archive. It failed without moving any items – Outlook didn’t give details except saying it had failed in several different folders. Noticed that the archive.pst was about 800MB, thought maybe he was having trouble working with 2 large files at the same time. Created a new .pst to archive to, tried again. Got part way through before Outlook said it failed again, without more details. It seemed to have moved some items before failing this time, but not nearly as much as it should have based on the date he chose in the ‘archive items older than’ selection. Noticed that he had 30,000 items in his Deleted Items folder – hadn’t been emptying it. Tried to empty it, that fails with ‘messaging interface has returned an unknown error’. If we try to highlight a group of items in the Deleted Items folder and Delete, it produces an error saying he doesn’t have the appropriate permissions (I didn’t manage to get that error written down, but he’s logged in as an admin.) Sometimes it will let him delete a single email from Deleted Items, but then no more after that until he reboots Outlook – gives the ‘messaging interface has returned an unknown error’. I’ve done searches on that error and everything I’ve found is about people who can’t delete from other folders because Deleted Items is full – but those don’t have suggestions if the error is happening in Deleted Items. I tried booting Outlook in safe mode – didn’t help. Tried SHIFT-DEL on the items in Deleted Items, didn’t help. Checked Deleted Items for any mails that were unusually large – nothing over 200K. The new ‘Office Diagnostics’ did not identify any problems.

We eventually created another new .pst file and made that his default, so his 1.8GB outlook.pst basically became an archive. So now at least he can open Outlook faster since he isn’t opening that file every time. But it still hurts when he has to go back to that one for anything. I’m thinking his problems with the archiving might be connected to the problems it’s having deleting items. Something may be corrupt in Deleted Items, but I’m not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users