Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large Ram Usage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

I found that my windows consume lots of RAM (70% above) even my RAM is 1GB. Firstly i tot that i'm infected, but the scanning result shows nothing. what is the problem?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

hi,,,, win vista uses nearly all the ram with superfetch, but gives it back instantly when called for,,,, take a look at this link

http://www.vistadiscuss.com/windows-vista-...-sucks/2006/09/

just google superfetch & take a look,,, also if you can maybe add another gig of ram you'll find vista opperates alot smoother with 2 gig of ram,,,,,,,,,,good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

Thnks.... figgis.
Posted Image

#4 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hey,

I have the same problem!

deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#5 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

I use a utility (system mechanic) to defrag my ram. after this I use around 460MB

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

hi all,, i have 2 gig of DDR2 and according to task manager its all being used but as soon as i do something on my pc its instant as its given back from the cach
[attachment=2875:Capture.JPG]

as you can see its all cached but in the memory box you see that my machine's only using about 750meg,,, this is the all new vista way with the superfetch,,, up to now i've had no probs with my pc speeds or game playing so im happy,,,,,, up to now,,,lol
good luck all
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:58 AM

it uses that much just for the os

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

its realy using 37%, the rest is being used by cach for the superfetch to move things around,,,, but as you can see vista has alot more processes running than xp & i have shut down all the one's i dont need,,,, i think this is why its sed that 2GIG of ram is better when using vista.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:29 PM

I find this very interesting, since in my area, pcs are being sold with windows vista and only 512 ram.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

hi Ryan,,,, when vista was first being lanched all the big pc shops in the uk were offering free vista upgrades for all xp machines purchased around that time, most of these machines did'nt have more than 1 gig of ram & the lower end pc's only had 512 of ram,,,, so all these people who got one are going to be very disapointed when they also have to ramp up there ram at extra expence,,,, it dose'nt say that vista will not work without 2 gig but it works alot better with it,,,,, i wonder if the shops passed this info on to there coustamers befor purchase ??????? i doubt it.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Vista Home Basic will work OK on just 512 mB of RAM - but once you start using it, it'll bog down quickly. I've had Ultimate running on 512 mB of RAM (in the beta) and it worked OK with some performance tweaks - as did Ultimate with 1 gB of RAM.

From what I'm seeing at work (and at home) - 2 gB is the "sweet spot" right now. Enough performance that you don't have to worry constantly - yet affordable enough for most people. I suspect that it's gonna need more as the installations mature tho' - which leads to a problem with DDR2 in dual channel mode for the 32 bit versions. That version won't recognize 4 gB of RAM (although it's working on 2 of my home systems) - so what will people do when faced with that decision?

FWIW - I think that the 64 bit OS's are just starting to come into their own - and that we'll see more and more of them as 32 bit Vista reaches it's peak at 3.26 gB of RAM.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users