Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

config.sys and autoexec.bat needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

Hi all. I have an HP Pavilion with a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem, Riptide PCI audio and game card as standard equipment. The last time the system crashed, I re-installed Win98SE from a Windows CD instead of the recovery disk provided by HP, since it seemed that the system was usually unstable shortly after a recovery. I have all windows drivers from the HP site for the hardware and everything is just peachy but for the fact that my drivers aren't being loaded when I boot to DOS mode. A check of the system shows that my config.sys and autoexec.bat though present are completely void of content. The recovery disk also used to put a folder on the root of C: called 'dosboot' with the files and instructions for creating an optimum dos boot floppy for games. Could someone with this same system post the files in text format please, or possibly point me to somewhere on the 'net where they could be found?
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:25 PM

Since you haven't used the Recovery method of re-installing, the actual DOS drivers might not even be on your system. Since autoexec.bat and config.sys
only tell the system where the files are located (or where they are supposed to be located), asking for those two startup files may do you no good. You also need the actual driver-files.

#3 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

Yes, I have the driver files. There are setup programs on HP's site that install drivers for my hardware, including the legacy drivers for DOS. (SoundBlaster emulation for audio). The problem is that when I Re-Start in MS-DOS mode or try a generic DOS boot disk, these drivers aren't loaded. Any games that can run in Windows from the DOS prompt work fine after running the setup routines for the soundcard type (e.g. Original Tomb Raider, Descent II). I'm not sure but I suspect any game that uses the modem would be able to access it when run in this mode also. I have a few old games that I like to play once in a while that will only run in pure DOS, though.
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:10 PM

You can get a typical autoexec.bat for your sound emulation here under setting up a soundcard in dos. There is nothing there to let you use your modem though. Easiest just to copy and paste. Let us know if that works.

Alternately, have you tried to extract those three files from your HP Recovery disk? Try extracting them to My Documents and have a look at them there to see whats in them before you put them at the root of C:. Having said that, the command lines in autoexec.bat and config.sys are normally added when you install the sound card drivers but if you can extract them its worth a look.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

No joy. The HP recovery disk (which is no longer available from HP) would have put a folder on the root of C: called "dosboot". In it were the files to copy to a system floppy that would be able to optimize pure DOS for older games on this box. I made just such a disk once, but can't find the durn thing now! I guess I was just hoping that someone would have the same system, happen to read this, and be able to give me the autoexec.bat and config.sys from that folder. (Or better yet, be able to zip the whole folder for me!) With this, I could copy the drivers in the DEVICE lines from the system folder. Unfortunately, the files on the recovery disk are compressed (of course), and are in some format that is unrecognizable to me. There's just an application that formats the hard drive and extracts the system from the CD to it.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

Did you try going to Start>Run, typing sfc and using the extract utility?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

That won't work on the HP recovery disk. There is a utility that allows you to extract files, but the recovery disk won't autorun because it doesn't detect whatever it is that it checks for and tells me that the disk is only for an HP computer. It should check the startup screen that's on the bios chip. If the binary info matches, then it's an HP. Why couldn't THEY have thought of that?

My only alternative at the moment is to back up the entire system, restore with the buggy HP system, get the files I need, and restore the backup.

Edited by Tweener, 04 March 2005 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users