Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem / Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have a Verizon Modem/Router (Model 327W) and was told by the Verizon tech to leave this router on 24 hours a day, every day!

I use the computer around 4 or 5 hours a day, off and on. Is this the best thing to do - leave it on all the time?

It seems like I am wasting a lot of electricity by having it on while the computer is off, besides the modem/router I also have a to leave the surge protector on too!

Thanks for any comments.

NN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

It's common for cable/DSL modems to be on all the time. Same for routers (routers are protective devices which also filter/rout traffic).

If I had a combo, I would have it on all the time.

One of the reasons broadband is referred to sometimes as an "always on" connection :huh:.

One of the considerations may be the fact that your ISP is constantly monitoring your connection to see if there are any problems/disconnects which require attention. Leaving it on all the time doesn't send false signals from the user to the ISP.

I have everything plugged into a surge protector, the only time that protector goes off is when I leave my apartment on an extended trip (more than 48 hours).

My setup is probably similar to that of many persons.

I could turn my surge protector off, but it's not worth it to me. The Utilities are going to get your money, you might as well get some convenience out of it...:thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Nerdnot

Nerdnot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

It's common for cable/DSL modems to be on all the time. Same for routers (routers are protective devices which also filter/rout traffic).

If I had a combo, I would have it on all the time.

One of the reasons broadband is referred to sometimes as an "always on" connection :huh:.

One of the considerations may be the fact that your ISP is constantly monitoring your connection to see if there are any problems/disconnects which require attention. Leaving it on all the time doesn't send false signals from the user to the ISP.

I have everything plugged into a surge protector, the only time that protector goes off is when I leave my apartment on an extended trip (more than 48 hours).

My setup is probably similar to that of many persons.

I could turn my surge protector off, but it's not worth it to me. The Utilities are going to get your money, you might as well get some convenience out of it...:thumbsup:.

Louis

Thank you for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users