Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting default mail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 martimeredith

martimeredith

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

xphome ed sp2->Internet Options ->Programs->E-mail:

One of pet peeves is to buy a manual that describes features not in my copy of the software. Usually, I can trust Que to provide a good manual. I'm old, I still like a hardcopy in my hands.

I used JUNO for years and still have the free version for now, which is a good thing as my search for an ISP and a good e-mail program as been long and dissapointing. Mostly because of their outsourced support teams, too much aggrevation. OK, I know I'm old, but I have tried very hard to be patience. This is why I'm not on the line to BellSouth.net's support team right now.

QUE tells me and shows a pic that I am to "remove the checkmark," to the right of the feature, to change. In this case, my Default E-mail feature. There are no check-marks, just the down arrow. Included under the arrow are Hotmail, Incrediblemail, Juno, MS Outlook, Outlook Express. I want to use Bellsouth.net e-mail right now. I also have signed up for G-mail, in other words its still up in the air what I will finally use. I just don't want to use Juno, now any of the others on there.

Under the Default Internet Programs Outline->E-mail-> Descriptions: "This program will open when you click the Mail button on IE6 toolbar or when you click on an e-mail link on Web page." Well, I 'clicked' on every web e-mail page I could find, left and right button and nothing.

How can I set bellsouth.net e-mail as my default e-mail program, and later maybe change it to something else if necessary?

Thank you for reading this, Marti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

First you will have to make a decision about which Email application you want to use.
Second, you have to determine if you are elibible to use POP email. Generally this is available through your ISP; I know that you can use it with GMail, and suspect others (there may be, say in the case of Yahoo, a charge for using POP Email.
Third, once you have made these two choices, you will need to find the Email settings to use when you set up your account within the Email application you are going to use to retrieve your Email. Generally, these "settings" are found under the FAQ, Help, or EMail pages at the provider's site; the better ones will will have a step by step tutorial for the more popular Email clients (IExpress is always there).
Fourth, check the HELP section of your Email Client. This will generally have information about setting up an account; there may also be an account "wizard" which steps throught the process.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 21 February 2005 - 07:13 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users