Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb External Harddrive Not Showing Up...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 helltrack

helltrack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:32 AM

I turn on my hard drive and it doesnt show up in "My Computer"...I look in "Disk Management" and it is not there either... I can hear the bad boy running and when i turn it on i get the "duh dum" noise from windows telling me that it notices something got hooked up...what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

what's the HDD brand and model?

Is this a self-contained external, or a drive you bought and put into an enclosure?

when windows gives you the found new hardware indication, what does it say it sees?

check your connections.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

XP's My Computer will not see unformatted drives. Has to be formatted before it can be used for anything. Format allows XP to recognize, assign drive letter. Then it's officially recognized by XP :thumbsup:.

However, it should show up in Disk Management. As previously asked...is this a package deal or a hard drive you inserted into an enclosure?

You can format it in Disk Management, after which it will appear in My Computer/Explorer.

Only other reason for a drive not to appear in XP (and still be working properly) is if a partition/drive letter is already assigned that drive and there is already a drive attached to XP with the same letter.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users