Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screensaver Fails To Initiate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 commart

commart

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

I'm running XP-Pro SP2b on a new machine, and it has been a champ to this point.

What's not happening: after the time specified, the screensaver function, which has not been encumbered with other than the Office-Home default, fails to initiate, and I return to my screen as I left it.

What gives?

The screensaver has functioned fine through software installation and the addition of a new monitor.

I'm going to load additional Adobe suite and software this morning, but the last software loaded did cause a hiccup in the form of a failed OS boot--a second restart seemed to solve that. The software was an Office 2007 Pro afterthought my Microsoft--a computer indexing utility to aid in searching for local content. Could the screensaver be interacting with that service? Other possible causes?

If I get good here (re. XP administration) I'll give back.

Thanks.

--Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

I`m assuming you`ve checked everythings as it should be under the display properties/screensaver tab.
Quote from here -
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss

"If so,to check your settings : Go to Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Scrnsave.exe = C:\Windows\System32\logon.scr
Verify your Time while there as well and choose accordingly: ScreenSaveTimeOut = (set your preference)

Also make sure none of the screensavers are wrapped in double quotes as in: ""c:\windows\system32\screensavername.scr""
And try adding: ss in front of the screensaver name.

Screen Saver Disable and Screen Saver Enable (Line 51)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm "

Other known issues include Wireless mice and Power DVD software.

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 commart

commart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

XP seems to recover from many of its hiccups, and it did that here soon after I posted this morning. Nonetheless, I've bookmarked the kellys-korner URL and will watch the behavior as I move along.

Thanks, Mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users