Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem/router Security Setup Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:09 AM

I am trying to set up WPA security on my Dlink DSL-G604T modem/router but the instructions are vague so I am reluctant to proceed. I've had the modem/router unsecured for several years but I've just moved house and security is more important here.

I have looked at several pieces of advice on the net but nothing seems to go into the detail I need, I fear making a mistake and losing all access.

The modem WPA instructions refer to PSK Hex preshared key and PSK string preshared key. Do I put in both of these and are they similar to passwords?

And what happens when I want to connect to the network using my wireless laptop, does a dialogue box appear in which I type something?

I also understand it is good practice to change the modem login and password from the manufacturer's default but how do I do it?

I also have an HP C6180 all in one printer/scanner but I cannot get it to print from the laptop via the DSL-G604T. The C6180 has a wireless connection of its own and will print from the laptop if the ethernet cable is pulled out of the back of the printer, but thats not a lot of help if I also want to print from my desktop machine so need the cable in. Is there a setting somewhere in the router or firewall that I have to change? Both computers are Vista HP and I use Kaspersky Internet Security 7.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users