Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need All These Programs Running?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Newslady

Newslady

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

So - since I am the resident Techie in our office I have decided I HAVE to learn Windows Vista. We have at least 4 laptops running Vista, and the owners were not up to speed on XP. Now they have Vista and they all come to me with questions.

No problem - I like learning new things and always expanding my knowledge. Anyway - so far I am actually impressed with what I have learned. I was frustrated with it at first. But sitting down, taking the time, and actually LEARNING all the new things - it is pretty cool.

OK - so there are still frustrations. One of the owners of the Vista laptops let me bring one home and use it to learn. The first thing that happened when I turned it on was that I got a message that said "Window failed to start. Would you like to restore?"..well, something to that effect. The owner has been having non-stop trouble with this computer. I got it restored, started up, and finally online. After NUMEROUS updates and restarts, and an hour and a half, I'm finally online and typing to you.

Here's my first question: Do I need to have all these programs running? It is running Windows Defender, PC Tools Firewall Plus, and AVG. I haven't yet looked over the programs, and I don't know what comes as part of Vista's security package. I'm not familiar with that portion of the new OS.

I know these are part of why it is running SO slow and why we have trouble getting online most of the time. How else can I streamline this computer to make it faster and more efficient? How can I trim it down and make it run leaner?

By the way - the computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501. It has an AMD Sempron Processor 3500+, 1.80 GHz, and here's part of the problem - only 446 MB of memory. EEEWWWWW! Guess we gotta change that! 32-bit Operating System. It is Vista Home Basic. The owner got it in March of this year.

Thanks! I know this is a long one. I appreciate you reading and any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

Vista is actually pretty similar to XP - just a bit "gussied up" and some new features.

Try http://www.blackviper.com to figure out which services are necessary. Then use Autoruns (free here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) to figure out what's startiing. Don't forget to read the EULA - as this is a mix of business and personal use. But I'd assume since you were doing this for your personal knowledge (and aren't getting paid for it) that you should be OK with the terms of the EULA.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users