Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locks Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CmdrCorey

CmdrCorey

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

As of yesterday my computer began locking up frequently. It started when I was just on AIM. I was typing to a friend and all of a sudden I couldnt see what I was typing, couldnt move the mouse, etc. About 10 seconds later everything was fine (and everything I had been typing for those 10 seconds came back on screen). I just kind of ignored it and started doing some homework while I had some music going and my computer started locking up again. The music would stop, mouse froze, etc, and 10 seconds later go back to normal. When these lock ups happen I hear my laptop fan turn on and go into a turbo mode and then it stops when the lock up unfreezes. I also hear a kind of clicking noise (thats the best way i can describe it, just one click per lock). The frequency of these increased to sometimes <1 minute intervals. What i have been doing is then turning off the computer and turning it back on. I have to manually turn it off because it will just sit there at the windows is shutting down screen if I dont.

I ran a virus scanner (partially, not enough time for a whole one yet) and it caught a virus. I ran combofix and after running combofix McAfee kept giving me "potentially unwanted program" alerts that all looked like they were coming from a system restore point. I removed all that and still get this problem.

I sincerely doubt it is a virus or something. I kind of just clicked delete really fats last time but im pretty sure the "virus" was just Hijack this, beccause i had to redownload it and mcafee caught it again.

Iam on a gateway laptop. about 2 years old. amd turion64. radeon x200m graphics card.

Hard resets will make the problem go away for a couple hours, but sometimes when i do a hard reset it wont load windows. sometimes it wont even get to the windows loading screen (it just sits at the gateway screen). One time when it was stuck at the gateway screen i hit F2 to go to the settings things, and my laptop started making this vibrating noise like crazy.

I was thinking hard drive but I dont know much about computers. Any ideas?

Edited by CmdrCorey, 29 November 2007 - 12:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

I've seen malware affect your hardware in many strange ways. First I would persue that virus theory further. Especially since you are receiving virus warnings it seems. Those needs to be dealt with.
Clean up your system.
Have a look here -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
The way your system is acting up, wouldn't at first lead me to believe that windows have been damaged.
My gut feeling though. This is a software problem.
Your hardware doesn't act on it's own. Your hardware is controlled by software(windows,programs,drivers etc).

Just my cents and hope you fix it. :thumbsup:

Edited by nightspydk, 29 November 2007 - 01:51 AM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:57 AM

You should definatly rule out a virus before we go on to checking the components. This could be an overheating, or HDD failure issue, but It can be caused by a virus too.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users