Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Riched32.dll And Riched20.dll Damaged?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rivenshield

Rivenshield

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

This is a clean install of Windows Home Premium on a brand new hard drive, only two weeks old. I cannot install any new software or open iTunes, or I get error messages referencing one of those two .dll files. I tried to reinstall Office 2007 -- it froze and crashed to Teh Blue Screen Of Death. I cannot install the latest Vista update. Tried system restore by booting off installation disk; was told there were no restore points available. (BS -- I've created two). I am also experiencing random shutdowns. I wanted to cut and paste the appropriate entries from my Event Viewer, but I got an error message telling my the 'snap-in' was screwed up.

I thought it might be malware, so I downloaded Norton AntiVirus. It won't install either. I downloaded their special tool for removing the Nimda worm, which damages the Riched20.dll file. Apparently I am clean. I tried downloading both .dll files and replacing them. It won't let me. I tried a repair install of Vista, but it apparently will not let me do anything more than repair the boot sector, run memory checks, et cetera. I tried purchasing and downloading a registry repair tool. *It* won't install.

I am honestly at wits end. WTF do I do? If I do a full reinstall of Vista, do I lose everything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rivenshield

Rivenshield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:27 AM

Whatever it is, it's getting progressively worse. I cannot open Word docs now, unless I use WordPad, and there's several paragraphs of gibberish at the beginning of each document. A few days ago I could still write. This actually scares me. I have a lot of work I do not want to lose.

Unless I can get some help, I am backing up what I've got and going back to XP.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:47 AM

Here's an article about riched20.dll and Microsoft Office: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291651

If you do a full reinstall, you'll lose everything (so backup). If you do a repair install, all should be well. But I'd try uninstalling Office first to see if that clears things up a bit. FWIW - this doesn't discount the possibility of a malware infection - I'd suggest a visit to our malware forums for more info there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rivenshield

Rivenshield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

/rolls eyes

I can't bloody DO a repair install in Vista! I get these five options when I try:

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

NONE of these address the registry problems I'm having. Hence my hair-pulling. And the riched20/32.dll errors aren't just in Outlook, I don't even USE Outlook. I get one on startup, I get one every time I try to install any sort of software, including Office. How do I repair or replace Riched20 and Riched 32 off the Vista installation disk? Does anyone know a way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users