Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Is Constantly Being Lost

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ParaCom

ParaCom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

Recently, my internet connection has gotten really shaky. My network skips from "Local and Internet" to "Local" to "No connection found" about every 15 seconds whenever I try to view a movie or download a file and occasionally disconnects whenever I am on a simple text website. The 'ready' light on my modem doesn't blink out like it usually does when the connection is lost but the 'ethernet' light goes out. I don't know what the problem is. I ran Trend Micro AntiVirus 2007 and Windows Defender but they both said my system was clean. I heard that removing spyware could leave a gap in the Winsock and I thought that might be the cause of it. I tried to download a program to fix it, but a message came up saying that I didn't have a Winsock registry. The program was made for XP and I am running Vista, so that might be the reason for the message.

Please help, I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Edited by ParaCom, 28 November 2007 - 07:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

Go to start, all programs, accessories, find the command prompt, right click, run as administrator, you should end up at C:\windows\system32>_ type in "netsh winsock reset" tap enter, you then need to restart the computer, and let us know your results.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 ParaCom

ParaCom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

I tried what you suggested, but I am still having the same problem.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

Go to Start > Run > type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
Hit Enter.
Close the command box.

Configure TCP/IP to use DNS. Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

CAUTION: It is possible that your Internet Service Provider requires specific settings here. Make sure you know if you need specific DNS settings here or not before you make these changes or you may lose your internet connection. If you are sure you do not need a specific DNS address, you may proceed.

If you continue to connectivity problems, download and run WinSockFix.
Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided in the Winsock Repair Tutorial.

Also see "It's not always malware: How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues", "Repair/Reset Winsock settings" and "Troubleshooting Internet Connection Problems".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 ParaCom

ParaCom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

I was able to do all of the things you suggested but when I tried to download WinSockFix it wasn't compatible with Windows Vista.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

To check and repair Winsock corruption in Vista, do this:
  • Open a command prompt as Administrator by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
  • Type or copy/paste: netsh winsock reset
  • press Enter
  • Type: Exit
  • press Enter and restart the computer.
To reset TCP/IP and Winsock in Vista, do this:
  • Open a command prompt as Administrator by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
  • Type or copy/paste: netsh int ip reset
  • press Enter
  • Type: Exit
  • press Enter and restart the computer.

#7 ParaCom

ParaCom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

I did what you suggested, but the connection is still shaky. When I tried to reset the TCI/IP and Winsock, it said that "Reseting Echo Request, failed Access is denied." but it was able to reset the interface. What does that mean?

Edited by ParaCom, 05 December 2007 - 05:08 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

Could be but I don't use a router and my knowledge in that area is limited. I will move this thread to a more appropriate forum which others may contribute further suggestions.

#9 ParaCom

ParaCom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

After spending a about an hour in total with tech support for Verizon and for D-Link (the makers of my router) I was given the suggestion that there is something wrong with my computer that is interfering with my connection and that I should call the manufacturer. I think that the problem is being caused by the router but I don't know if there is any way I can fix it. I have got it hooked directly to the modem and it is working fine, but I can't use my Xbox online with this setup. Anyone have any experience with fixing router problems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users