Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Managment Setting Won't Save Or Modify

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stephen day

stephen day

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

My Win XP Home Laptop will change the power managment setting to require password and lid setting and power button settings are changed when I play a movie reset to my likings and upon reboot they are back to need password on resume and laptop lid is set to turn offf monitor and shut down when power button is pushed when set to ask was the setting on shutdown of system have tried everything I can think of have used HP restore power managment to system default but it is always the same after a movie any player i use
Any Ideas ?
TIA
Madman1953

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

Right click on the desktop and choose properties
On screensaver tab uncheck "on resume password protect"
Check the energy saver power settings while you are there, it may be you have it set to hibernate, sleep , or somthing like that to frequently.

Apply .

Now go to start / run and type
control userpasswords2
hit enter.
Uncheck the box "users must have a name and password to use this computer"
It will ask for the username and password you want to login by default , enter yours .
Apply and restart

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 stephen day

stephen day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:24 PM

will try and see how it works , settings stay untill I play video then set monitor to shut down 15 min , if I change to never will stay till video plays . ? how to keep the video players from changing the PM settings as I am on ac power and don't need savings on AC , but it seems to be the video doing the setting modification, this is all CompUSA's fault I am sure as they installed HP service Pac's that were not designed for my laptop but I dread format and reinstall of all software
TIA
Stephen Day AKA Madman1953

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

Is it listed in Add/Remove programs? Make sure to check the "show updates" box. If the suspect update is listed, remove it.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 stephen day

stephen day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

have removed the service packs a long time ago and used SP for power mangegement restore to default settings , but the dang PM revertes to the same thing anytime the system runs a video player have not been able to find any settings in the divx player to disable PM changes tried the pw settings in previous post but no go still changes on video use all that did is auto login
don't realy want to do a reinstall of system and all software to get back to where I am now
TIA
Beware of CompUSA Service Dept
Stephen Day AKA Madman1953

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users